How to catch fish in the winter????

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dakid, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    i fish at a place called maple lake in palos hills il and it has some pretty big fish but now since it has gotten cold outside the fish seem to stop biting i went to the lake 3 days in a row and tried every thing i knew but i still didnt have any luck. i wanna try fishing deep but i dont have a boat so i wanna know what it is that i have to do in order to catch some fish???? o yea and theres no ice on top of the water yet! but the water is still very cold

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i agree i have the same problem and no boat! it sucks lol. but i do love fishing from the bank. hopefully some people can help us out.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Johnny you never stated what type of fish your were trying to catch. If you are catfishing try and use chicken livers are cut bait and spread your rods between the deep and shallow areas. You might sprinkle the baits with garlic salt (overnite) as an attractant. Keep working at it, you will find the key.:lol:

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Try to find out if the internet or the DNR have any maps on the lake your fishing that will tell you the depths.If its a forest preserve,the illinois DNR site should have a map of your lake.I would try to fish deep areas.Like what was said on the previous post,your best bet is fresh cutbait or chicken liver.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sometimes in winter they bite slower be prepared to wait along time and use a powerful bloody bait or stink bait , i prefer fresh cut shad

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Right now, you would have to drill a hole in ice around here. That don't sound like fun to me .... but some people are ruff and tuff enough to do it. Not me!:smile2:

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I lean towards the "wimpy" side when the temps drop below 40...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The easiest way for me to catch winter fish (it was 2 degrees here with a wind chill of -23F at 7 am) is to pick up a phone, book a flight, and have a Florida guide pick me up at the airport. Seriously, my boat hasn't seen water since September or October. :sad2: