How to catch cold water bait!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 23, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Having good bait is essential for when you want to go fishing. Over the years, I have dealt with the difficulties some may have had catching bait in the cold water late in the year and early in the year. I have tried many different methods and techniques to be able to maintain a supply of fish such as bluegills, crappies, creek chubs, and shiners in my bait tank. I fish a variety of areas, such as creeks, ponds, and lakes to obtain my bait. I can honestly say this has worked in every situation I have been presented with throughout the year in warm water, and cold water. I rig my spinning reel/ rod with 14lb. fireline crystal. i tie on a stop knot, bead, then add a slipfloat. Under the float, I either add two or three splitshots, or a small bass weight, as shown below. I try to keep these weights six to eight inches above the jig. Now, to the actual setup. I found that even in cold water months from late November- late February sometimes we often have cold water, but not cold enough to freeze. I wanted to be able to target these panfish, and creek fish to keep. I found that if you fish an ice jig under a simple slip-float setup, that you could intice these fish to bite even on the coldest days! These ice jigs vary in size and detail. But, the rule of thumb has been, the colder the water, the smaller the size of jig and the slower the presentation. my favorite bait that i fish under the slip-float setup is called a "Ratsu". These are finese soft plastics ranging in size from 1.063" in length, 1.250", to 1.500" in length. They come in a variety of colors. My favorite color is a dark red. These thread onto a jig head similar to those used for other larger ones. The only difference is these are ice-jig heads ranging in sizes like 1/100oz. 1/50oz. 1/32oz. When fishing this this tiny twister tail combo on the adjustable float, tipped with alittle something extra, like a wax worm, you can get most panfish and bait fish to bite in any temperature! The simple technique I use is, fishing cold water such as low 40's to mid 30 degrees, i cast the float, ice rig out and simply let it settle. I then very easy just shake the rod tip. only moving the float inches at a time, in a popping motion. then let it set for a few seconds before the next segment. Always keeping the added slack reeled in. These gills and crappies love the slow presentation presented in front of their nose. They can't resist but to mouth the bait, resulting in the taste from the wax, allowing them to wanna hold on. Remember, the colder the water, the smaller the finesse tail, and the slower the retrieve! I also like another product from the same company called a, "Ratfinkee", and another called a "Rocker"!!! All are pictured below, fished in the same way. I fish this setup all year round. Doesn't seem like a season is better than the next. This is a deadly way to catch your baitfish whether it is bluegills ,crappies, chubs etc. for bait, or to get some for the table! I have caught over 300 crappies on this rig this winter so far, and hundreds of gills also. I would reccommend those wanting the opportunity to catch fish in open water, as well as thru the ice to check these baits out! No, im not sponsoring them what so ever, but want to share with my brothers my means of being able to maintain bait in the tank even in the coldest months!!! goodluck to you all...rollo

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If anyone is interested in the name of this company including links send me a pm. I will gladly mail you the info. This is not a BOC sponsor so, I'm not gonna advertise them on the open board...rollo

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pics. of some winter gills and crappies from this winter..rollo

Attached Files:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great info dude...Now how about a post on where to find winter shad on medium and small rivers?

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    great info bro. thanks for sharing.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol.. i only post stuff that i know, and how i fish. i wish the muskingum shows the shad in schools like some of you others talk about in the winter..... if you ask me, or anyone that fishes this river...it looks dead as soon as it cools and looks dead until the late spring..... there isn't any distinguish bait or fish movement what so ever!!! I think I like the added challenge though!!! rollo:wink:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are shad, and other fish targeted below spillways, etc. tspergin, jason454, and skip are good people to talk to about the shad, etc. I mainly get all my bait on rod and reel, but have to say these guys have enlightened me on the throw netting and other options as well.. and i thank them for their knowledge...rollo

8. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    tributarys,creek mouths,spillways and dams are all good for me this time of year.they run in huge schools right now on my local waters.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Awesome post Rollo

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    these baits are alot cheaper to buy from the actual company, then to go buy them one at a time elsewhere. i have bought alot of small jig heads in bulk from cabelas, now i just buy the replacement tails from the company. a very inexpensive investment to setup a small tackle box, always having plenty of baits that you have confidence in for pretty much every situation. i have used them without tipping them with waxs as well, mostly in the warm water months. the fish are more aggressive then. they work just as good.. rollo

11. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rollo , thanks for the great info I for one am thankful always that you are so willing to share.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are many other ways to catch bait in the cold water, but i think this is the easiest. thanks to everyone for the posts and nice words..rollo

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    all kinds of bait:smile2:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes all kinds of bait:wink:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Excellent post Rollo, glad to see you catching fish in the OFF season lol.

16. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Excellent post Rollo, glad to see you catching fish in the OFF season lol

:smile2:OUCH:

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey rollo, it is about 2 degrees out at my place right now and I was thinking about going river fishin but am to lazy to go catch bait. If you wouldnt mind, I would like 4 dozen chubs, few dozen shad, 11 bluegills, oh yeah and if you could get me some mud leaches somewhere that would be appreciated also.:smile2: I'll need those by the end of the day so just give me a call asap. Thanks:big_smile::smile2::tounge_out::wink:lol.
    Anyone who is bad enough to be out fishin in my neck of the woods is a hell of a lot bigger man that I am. I aint evan gonna get the mail today!

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hear ya!! LOL.. Im not that hardcore either! maybe i can run some lines for the mud leaches! the rest of the bait is on back order for now!!! :smile2: rollo