Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

How to catch catfish

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  WIcatter 
#1 ·
Ok so ive been trying to catch a catfish for weeks now but i havent even caught 1 yet. I fish the mississipi by shore. I have tried different commercial stinkbaits and nightcrawlers. I have sunfish heads i might try but i doubt they will work. Am i just putting my bait in the wrong spots or could it be another reason? The water has been high so that could be it. Thanks for any help.

#5 ·
Finding some structure would be your best bet. Wing dams are the most prominent (visible) areas to fish. Points are another good area. Any places where logs, branches and such are jammed up are good spots for flatheads as well as channels.
Fishing off a dock can work if you know the contours under the water around it. There are areas I fish on the Wisconsin River that on the surface look uninviting and barren, but there are rockpiles and holes that hold channel cats all the time.
Ask around. Ask other anglers of any possible spots. You will be surprised as to how many will help you out with a place or two to try. Also asking bass or walleye anglers about structure in areas you are interested in. Most people think an angler wont tell you of good spots, but over the years, I have found the opposite. I'm not saying they will let you in on their honeyhole, but most will give you a valid place or two to try. I have no problem sharing some of my fishing spots. Always plenty of fish to go-round !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.