How to catch Big Gar?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by sharpshooter, Jan 29, 2006.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter New Member

State:
    wharton, TX
    I am looking for some methods for catching a big alligator gar from the colorado river hear in tx. any tips on what bait to use would also be appreciated.

2. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    It Depends On What You Want To Do With The Gar Once They're Caught. Bow Fishing For Gar Is Pretty Popular In My Area. Largely Because Of The Numbers Of Gar Are So High And That They Are Not A Very Sought After Fish For Rod And Reel. (they Destroy Equipment) But I Personally Have Not Fished For Gar Intentionally. I Have Had A Few Large Ones Bite On Cut Up Green Sunfish And They Absolutely Love Leopard Frogs And Smaller Bull Frogs. My Neighbor Has Told Me Stories Of Them Feeding On Baby Ducks And Muskrats. I Would Feel Comfortable In Saying They Eat Just About Anything. Fish On!

3. Manolo56

Manolo56 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There is a very interesting article on Gar fishing written by Doug Stange in this months In-Fisherman magazine. Lots og good information.

Monte

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you want to catch really big gar in my experience the best way, is to go fishing for catfish!:rolleyes: :p :cool: ;) .I catch far more than I ever wanted.

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    along with whatever bait you use, fray the end of some rope and tie on to your hook. the gar get their teeth tangled in it.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have always got my big gar bowfishing. I never got a big gar catfishing or fishing for anything else. I have caught one very small on a rapala minnow about 10" long and I tried to catch it. Only one I caught on a rod and reel.

7. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I always catch gar in shallow water with bloody or dead bait in the summer. In the winter I rarely ever see them. But the ones I catch are longnose gar.

8. memphis-cat

memphis-cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    jugfishing with mullets works well too

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    OK, Here is what you do!!!
    Go out on the river and find a place that looks like it would be teaming with flatheads at night. Then go back that evening and set up on it with cut skipjack or shad and maybe even some live gills. Then just wait for that magic moment when you hear that clicker sound off and then it stops and then it takes off again ZZZZZZZ-------------ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ----------ZZZZZZZZ and set the hook now you have found your goal, that pesky gar, LOL!!!
    They always seem to show up when you don't want them to, Kinda like the mother-in-law, LMAO!!!
    Now if you go out and target them you will never catch one, LOL!!!

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is how I fish gar and bowfin, with a new twist I'm throwing in this year. First, I almost always use a braided line when fishing for gar. It helps me keep them in open water, keeps my presentation light an allow my favorite bait, drifted shiners natural.

However the switch is this. I've got some awesome little circle hooks that I'll be using this year which will make missed hook-ups hopefully a thing of the past. Especially when I've got circles down to size 8's that I've been using to catch sunfish for bait.

Find a cove or hole, be it in a straight or bend of a river. LOOK FOR GULPING FISH! This technique works best when the fish are on or near the surface. Some days they just stay deep. But cast at the front of the hole or cove and just drift through. If you don't get hit within three or so casts...move to the next spot. When a fish hits, feed him some line so that he has time to turn the bait and swallow it....it's really easy to pull a hook slam out of a bait and miss the gar altogether!

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    rapala minnows work really well when they are feeding on top. just jerk it past them slow and they will grab it.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The best way to catch big gar and lots of gar is to go catfishing.Never fails.:) Don't know what would happen if I went Gar fishing,probably catch a world record blue ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

13. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have not seen Aligator Gar in the Colorado. They may be there but everything i have caught was the long nose variety. I fish up stream from Buchanan.

14. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    I have found tons of big gar in the Ohio river below the damns, but only after april.

We usually catch them using surf rods and Penn 9M reels. I rig a medium pencil float set about 1 - 2 ft deep, a 4-0 wide gap hook with a fresh palm sized or smaller shad filet. I fish this rig about 200 ft below the damn where the discharge starts to slow but is still moving the float fast. Look for fish that are gulping and try to keep the float in that range, they seem to follow the same line and once you get in there you can have a blast.

A little word of advise. This is not for the meek. It is literally like hooking a train going 55 in an already strong current. My best fish to date is 46 1/2" and I had to bring that fish to the bank 4 times before we finally got it on land. When we are going to fish the damn we try to make an all day/multi species event. Bass/stripes in the morning, Gar/Skipjack in the afternoon,
    Big Blues and Shovels after dark, Go home dead tired the next day.

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Myself and TA2D catch our share of shortnose gar when fishing at night, but like Slimepig said everyone that I know that fishes for gar specifically fray rope on their hooks. It seems to work terrifically, but then again they're going after short and longnose gar and not those monsters you're after.

SudDawg

16. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here in SC, i like to get the gar to the boat with cut up bream and then throw a simple unwound piece of white nylon rope on a baitcaster. It is a heck of a fight.