How to catch asian carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by superman, Oct 3, 2006.

1. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    well let me start by saying that i do drive around in the boat untill they jump in and have bow fished for them a few times and have even snagged them all three methods work really well but i was wondering if anyone has figured out how to catch them on rod and reel and if so what do you use for bait

2. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    that's a good question, thanks for posting:cool2:

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I read somewhere that they fish for them in Europe by making a huge dough ball (about the size of a softball) and mold it around numerous treble hooks.
    since these fish are filter feeders they will hang out around the dough ball sucking in pieces as it breaks off and will sometimes suck a hook into their mouths.
    I've never tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

Eric

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    thanks eric sounds good to me will give it a try friday night

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would stick with a baseball bat :big_smile:

6. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    a bat would probally work i have hit them in the air with a paddle and had to go buy a couple new ones the next day

7. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    which "asian" carp are you refering too ........ ?
    the comman carp that most people catch, or the stocked grass carp that are used for weed control in many city and/or man-made lakes?
    a different approach is needed for both

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I don't believe you have Asian Carp in Florida, yet. They are a very invasive species found all over the Midwest. The can jump several feet out of the air and are dangerous. Plus they are very bad for the Eco-System. So he isn't asking about a common carp or the grass carp.

9. Big Merc

Big Merc New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Very good question, I have been wondering the same actually...more specifically, I'm looking to find out, if grass carp, can be caught on rod and reel, and what it's going to take, for me to get my first carp?

Keep in mind, I fish a small/medium size private lake.

10. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    In my mind grass carp fall into 2 categories ...... they either live in a water where the general public throws in bread, and whatever !!!, to feed the ducks .... or .... in a lake where they are purely there to do the job they are stocked for .... eat grass. The later can be almost impossible to crack. If it's a small lake you fish then it's a matter of time and a lot of patience to try and wean them onto a bait you can chum with. Sweetcorn springs to mind, as it's readily available. The best time to fish for them is after the weed growth has died down, and they have little or no natural food to feed on. I fish a lake where the public feed the ducks, and the grassies are there nudging the ducks out of the way .... in the winter. In the height of the grass growing season you would think the lake was devoid of carp. I catch them on sweetcorn, usually flavoured, as the locals use corn out of the can, and the carp very quickly get wary of plain old corn !!! I color it too ..... red or orange, to take away the "brightness" of the yellow. Good luck with the grass carp, they don't fight as hard as the common carp, but they are fun to catch.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use the core of a head of cabbage or lettuce for grass carp-they seem to love it!

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Stick a BIG OL' landing net off the front of the boat with your feet planted well against the gun wall and hope the captain stops fairly Quick once you net one......:eek:oooh:

13. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    believer i tried your idea this morning and caught a couple carp but not the asian carp only spent about 2 or 3 hours at it though will try several different dough baits friday night

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I do hope you're not releasing any Silver or Bighead carp that you might catch. The only good carp is a dead carp.

Silver carp are the only ones that jump out of the water. Bighead carp are bigger but don't do the jumping. Both can be caught easily with a throw net f you're in the right location; neither will bite on hooks to any extent.

15. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    after two broke ribs from one they die if get my hands on them i use them for bait and as fertilizer in my grandma's garden would like to catch them on rod and reel for the fight would not release them

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Are these things expected to spread everywhere? Like Kentucky? Are they edible/palatable?

17. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    an old friend showed me how to make dough balls that actually kinda worked it was lettuce cabbage carrots and few other veggies blended together he cut up a pair of his wifes nylons ( she was a little mad at him for that ) and stuffed the mix in to the nylons and tied off both ends i used five on a rod in about four hours i caught about ten to fifteen carp and one asian carp it did put up one heck of a fight all in all i would call this a failed experiment but i did catch my first asian carp on a rod and reel

18. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    what type of carp look blue while they are in the water

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost assuredly not a carp but a buffalo sucker. Good eating but boney.

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've been thinking about riding around with my live well open and see if they will just jump in. Ate one Mon. was suprised by how good it was.:lol: