How to Build Your own Planer Boards

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Shimano, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im not sure if anybody has done this as of yet but with the growing popularity of the use of planer boards for catfishing I thought some folks might be interested in making there own to save some coins. Enjoy

[​IMG]

Heres the material we will start with. You will need a piece of aluminum or stainless steel about 4.5 inches by 8 inches. One piece of 10-24 threaded rod about 4 inches long. Two 10-24 flat nuts and two 10-24 lock nuts. Two pieces of styrofoam insulation about 8 inches long and two inches wide by 1/2 inch thick. One piece of 12-20 heatshrink wrap. One alligator clip. One small key ring. One swivel clip. A small length of aquarium pump vinyl tubing. and a small clip (not sure what its called).

[​IMG]

I use my grinder wheel to round the sharp edges off of the stainless. Then drill a hole for the 10-24 rod about two and a half inches from the side of the board and one and a half inches from the top. Then drill a smaller hole in the opposite corner at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Next you need to cut opposite angles on each end of the styrofoam insulation. This is to help channel the water flow around the board.

[​IMG]

Next run one of the 10-24 flat nuts about 3/8 of an inch onto the threaded rod. Then a 10-24 lock nut behind it.

[​IMG]

Next is to push the 12-20 heatshrink wrap onto the threaded rod.

[​IMG]

Next trim about 3/8 of an inch off of the end of the heatshrink wrap and heat it up with a lighter to shrink it around the threaded rod. This is to prevent line cuts from the threads if your fishing line gets around it.

[​IMG]

Now place the other flat nut and lock nut on the other end and you should have something that looks like this.

[​IMG]

Now you are ready to put the rod into the stainless board. first you need to decide whether you want a right side board or left side. The one in the pic will be a right side board if you want a left side just flip the board and put the rod into the other side.

[​IMG]

Tighten the lock nut onto the backside of the board with the flat nut on the front side for a jam nut.

[​IMG]

Now in the small hole at the bottom place the small key ring then put the swivel clip on the key ring. This is used to put onto your line so you dont lose your board when the release clip pops off. I suggest using a bead on your line above your leader if you use this method so the board doesnt slide down the line and knock the hook loose from the fishes mouth.

[​IMG]

Now put some type of silicone onto the back side of your styrofoam. (Notice the slot cut out in the styrofoam for the rod.)

[​IMG]

Now place it onto the board above the threaded rod taking time to seal around the edges of the styrofoam with silicone to avoid water getting behind it.

[​IMG]

Cut out a notch for the lock nut and repeat the process for the backside of the board.

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Next you need to cut off the alligator clip right behind the tiny screw.

[​IMG]

Now remove the screw to reveal a small hole.

[​IMG]

Now place the small clip through the hole left by the screw. ( Im not sure what you call these clips but I got them in the crafts section at Wal-Mart)

[​IMG]

Next you will need to cut two pieces of vinyl tubing about 1/2 inch long.

[​IMG]

Place a small drop of super glue on the clip and slide the vinyl tubing onto both sides of it. Now your homemade release clip is finshed.

[​IMG]

Now remove the lock nut and place the small clip over the threaded rod then replace the lock nut and tighten.

[​IMG]

Be sure not to make it too tight. You want the clip to be able to move freely around the threaded rod.

[​IMG]

Now place the board on a flat surface upside down like in the pic until the silicone dries then its a good idea to paint them with some bright orange so you can find them if they break off.

[​IMG]

One last step that I left out is an important one. I used a tire weight from a local tire shop and flattened it with a hammer then riveted it to the rear section on the backside of the board. This helps to stabilize the board in current and rough conditions.

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If anybody wants advice on how to use planer boards see Mac Byrums Catfish University there is a great article there on how its done.

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have had some questions about how to attach the board to the line so here is a pic and a quick how to. I use a swivel and bead with about a 3 foot leader. Let out your baited line to the desired distance ( this will vary depending on the situation) then attach the release clip to the line like in the pic then put the line into the rear clasp and place the board into the water with the trolling motor on and let it pull out away from the boat. Also some folks have had trouble painting these boards due to the foam eating away. Try using some reflective tape on each side of the board instead of painting them. Planer boards have many advantages that can be implemented in different situations. I.E. If you are fishing shallow water where the fish might potentially be spooked by the rig put the bait 60-100 feet behind the board. If you are fishing in muddy water try putting the bait closer to the board and the splashing of the board acts as an attractor. If you are fishing deep water use split shots to get the baits down at a desired depth.

Good Luck!

Shane

Attached Files: