How to build an aerated live bait cooler

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nuts1968, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nuts1968

nuts1968 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello all, sorry for the question that I'm sure already has a thread on. Its been a little while since I have been back here and I can't find the section I'm looking for. There used to be several very informative threads with pictures that showed you how to build an aerated live bait cooler from drink coolers ect. Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks again,

Mark

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Go to the members library.Its around the top of the main page. If I knew how to give a link I would.

3. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    There are a couple articles in the Member Library to choose from that show how to build aerated bait tanks from coolers. Just have to pick the one that'll work best for you. Here's a link to the Table of Contents. On page 3 you'll find the bait tank articles.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

If you build one, let us know how it works out! :big_smile:

4. nuts1968

nuts1968 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for all both your posts. I knew it was around here somewhere. Thanks again. :wink:

5. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you are making a bait tank out of a cooler, I would suggest getting one that has the dual lids, the bottom lid (the one that when you open it up opens both is fixed shut, i drilled a small hole in the lid to feed the wires to my areator which i bought from walmart, (my wife has the camera, but when she gets back i will take some picks so you can see) its the one with the suction cups on the bottom. I found this is best as it attaches and stays in one spot. then you just need a small bait net to dip to bait fish from, works great for bluegill and goldfish, held about 60 bluegill in there for about 2 days , cant remember what size it is, but I also use a little shad saver to help oxygenate, and maintain the water, also small waterchanges help, but it works great, plus its insulated, i bought the cooler form walmart also, just need to rig up a battery holder on the side to keep the battery from sliding everywhere.

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
  7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have made bait tanks out of ice chests and water coolers, and prefer the water coolers for two reasons...the round shape, and the fact that they are made to contain fluids. I get much less sloshing with the watercoolers. Ice chest lids just don't contain the water as well.

10 gal Rubbermaid coolers are my choice.

8. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree with the water sloshing around, but I need to kep bait for trotlining, and a ten gallon water cooler isnt large enough, and larger water coolers are more expensive.