How to build a jugline

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chuck7700, Jul 19, 2007.

1. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    The Kahle hooks are good for juglines and limblines but I don't use them very often for rod&reel cause they're too big. Also you should bend these hooks out a little like on this page Bending Kahle Hooks

Juglining

I use tarred nylon #150 test for my jugs. It isn't effected by the water and lasts longer than plain nylon. DON'T USE BRAIDED NYLON ON JUGS OR TROTLINES, THE MAINLINE OR THE DROPS, BECAUSE THE FISH BREAK IT A LOT EASIER FOR SOME REASON.

Dropper Loop

This is similar to the weights I used when jugline fishing. photo from my friend catfish on the cmb. These are made from using some kind of cup like a 32 oz styrofoam cup as a mold and concrete mix with some kind of wire for the eyes. bend the two ends of the wire or make a loop and stick the wire down in the cup and hold it up with your fingers then pour the desired amount of mix in the cup. You'll need a bag of concrete mix and a bag of concrete ... mix equal parts of the mix and the pure concrete so that it'll have more concrete powder than the normal mix alone so that it won't break down in the water. use just enough water to make it easy to manage. once they're hardened (2 days) take them out of the cup and let them cure a few days at least ... once you let them harden for about 4 or 5 days coat them with some kind of sealer you have available. thompsons works but I've found that oil based porch paint works better. It's made for sealing concrete.

I've found that three hooks work best ... if you use 5 it'll get tangled pretty badly and not worth the trouble. I also use those float noodles now for the jugs ... can make 3 floats outta one noodle from the toys section in Wal-Mart and they're $1.96 each. I'll get a photo of one posted pretty quick and how to I fasten the line to them.

Juglining
    There are also a lot of other cool things you can do with these jugs, like for night fishing you can use chem-lites taped to the tops of them but a friend of mine, Kevin Mackey, showed me a little trick to make them show up better. Take a 1 litre clear plastic pop bottle and paint it white with regular ole canned spray paint and put the chem-lite in the bottle then tape that to the top of the noodle ... you can see it over 300 yds like that and when you get a hit on the jugline it will stand up and shine like a beacon on a cold dark night :).

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Chuck for sharing a lot of good information. Much appreciated.:smile2:

3. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    Thanks for the info., I have never gone jug fishing but have been planning on trying it this fall.

4. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    Thanks for the info Chuck.

5. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    great post man good info now weres the pics lol

6. TPD

TPD New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the useful info. I have just recently started jugging. Sunday night will be my third trip. How about the use of circle hooks on the jug lines? I am using size 6 hooks. I have heard that Kahle hooks are the best.

7. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I USE TRU-TURN 4 TO 6 AND THEY WORK GREAT!!!!!!!!! CHUCK THAT WAS GREAT INFO THANK YOU

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use tru turn 6/0 exclusivly can use these hooks over and over while khales will rust out faster

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've experimented with other hooks such as kahles, and while they did get more hookups, the small eye made attaching them very difficult, and they rusted out in only one season. I went back to using ordinary Big-eye trotline hooks. I don't even bother getting the stainless steel version.

10. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Thanks for sharing,Chuck!:0a31:

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've started changing all my jugline hooks over to 4/0 and 6/0 eagle claw circles. I've never (I use that word sparingly) had a fish get off a circle hook on a jugline yet. As all of you who run jugs know, it's easy to tell when you've had a fish on a hook, they'll be twisted up and there'll be slime up and down the line if you get there soon enough. When we first started running juglines, we used all tru-turn hooks. We're slowly changing all of them out to circles. They just work better for us. I just wish shad were as easy to hook with the circles.:confused2:

12. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use 6 7 8 ott thru trun on my jud lines, great post

13. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Had a big fish proly my biggest ever break a kahle on me once. Only use circles now.