How to build a catfish basket

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by snakeman76, Jun 22, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I know some of you fellows call them traps but I think you will know what I am talking about.I want to build my own catfish basket,my daddy had one was about two feet wide and four to five foot long. but I just want something i can throw in the river every now and then so I can have a mess when I need them.thanks for any information.

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Couldn't help you there.a trap that big is not legal in Tx, and its not legal to trap catfish.I did see a youtube video where guys would throw out a bunch of ould car tires and pull them up and take the catfish out.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Better make sure its legal in Fla. It isn't in Iowa.
    That being said you can buy them at nylonnet.com.
    Those that I've seen were only 1' X1' by 6or 7" long and were made from oak lath. Not very difficult to figure out how to make the box. The funnels are something else though.You can buy them at nylon net also. You need 2 funnels.

have a good 1
    just

4. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Cant say for sure that it is legal here either but I remember a guy making one out of the heavy duty 6" square hog wire from home deput. He rolled into what looked like a 2-1/2 or 3' diameter tube that was the length of the fence heigth 4'. He folded the ends to create a seam length wise down the tube. Looked like he made the funnels out of the same material. Reminded me of a very large minnow trap.

5. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri