How to be a Licensed Guide?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a couple questions. How do you obtain a license to be a guide in Ohio? And, what is the criteria? I have been receiving many phone calls about fishing this up coming year from many, and want to do it legal.. I appreciate any info......rollo

2. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    If you do get in to it.
    My wife has her owen advertising company.
    Not that you would need to.
    But a cool buss.card is always nice.

3. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i would send don sweet a email, don has something to do with the classes you will need, don can be reached at catfishing america tv show. hope this will help you.......good luck

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Contact your states DNR and ask they about any and all requirements. They know what to write a ticket or fine for if you don't have it. so they should be able to inform you based on that.:crazy::smile2:
    Best of luck with the venture.
    David

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of Luck on this Rollo. If you do decide to go that route I'm sure you'll be a successful guide and have a great business. I don't know you but talking to you here and on the phone you seem to have it all pretty well figured out or at least a he!! of a good start! Best of Luck Brother! Sorry I couldn't help with any info...

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just have been throwing around the thought. it wouldn't be a career change etc. i just want to find out what info. is needed to obtain such a permit. i have alot of people throughout the summer that wants to go on the weekends etc. it seems to spiral from them to others. would be nice to be able to cover gas costs, and make alittle on the side as well...rollo

7. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    It depends on if the waters you fishing on. If it is a Federal water way you will need to take a US Coast Guard class and optain a US Coast Guard Captions Lic. If it isn't a Federal water way all you may need is a license from you state. Hope this helps you out and good luck to you.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just dont show them your honey holes!:roll_eyes:

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo, I hav ebeen guiding here in Ohio for 14 years now, mostly flyfishing for trout, smallies and gar with a few spin trips thrown in. In Ohio, Inland, there is no criteria or license needed, just say you are a guide and your good to go. On Erie , its tribs and the Ohio River and the lower Muskingum ( Federal maintained waterways) you will need the USCG certification. Here are a few things to think about, first off a million dollar liability policy will run you anywhere from $1000-2500 a year. Then there is the equipment everyone will break, you are on your own for that stuff. You will spend twice the time getting ready for the trip, fixing lunches, getting boat fueled up, catching bait etc and then there is the gas costs and what I do not like the most, is that when I guide on a saturday, its a saturday that I do not get to fish but the wife counts it as a "fishing " day. Dont get me started about the idiots who are very demanding and have the best trip of there life and dont tip after breaking or loosing equipment ( Flies/leaders/indicators on my end) Is it worth it?, sometimes....but more often then not, nope,

Yeah as mentioned, make sure you dont take anyone to not only your spots but any of your friends spots, they will get very upset with you real quick since you "sold out" on them. My insurance very specifically prohibets boat activity as that would cost that much more so I would never consider doing catfish trips.
    Last point is I have been doing this a long time, and maybe do 15 trips or so a year with 5 different fly shops using me to do there trips as well as self promotion ,website, business cards, 3 fishing shows every year and the trips will come durring the times you want to fish and not when you need the extra money:wink:

Send me a PM with your phone # if you want to talk more about this and I will be sure to talk you out of it:smile2:

Salmonid