How to bait shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Capt_Culver, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you bait your shad in order to keep them alive? Same with gills too...where to insert the hook? Thanks

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i aint to good with shad, but i hook everything right below the dorsal fin, works good for me, keeps em alive

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've noticed that all I have to do is look at shad, and they die. Never tried putting them on a hook without looking at them, doesn't sound to safe. LOL

There have been numerous posts on how to keep shad alive in the livewell, but I know of no way to keep them alive on a hook.

4. FDR

FDR New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
    I alway hook them dorsal fin but they never stay alive for to long

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Shad are not hardy creatures at best, when using them as live bait, hook through bottom lip and out through top slightly behind top lip. That is the beat way I have found to hook em and keep em alive any length of time.

6. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    josh shad won't stay alive. i was surprised they lived as long as they did in the aerator after i netted them......

hooking them the way we do if using them whole is the only way that has worked for me....due to the consistency of the flesh if you don't do it that way they will rip off in cast or on a solid hit.

if you look around on here the flathead sections talk a lot about hooking gills.....tried and true method is the spot right above the eyeball I showed you.....

under the dorsal fin works too but i don't think they live as long that way.....if through the eye SOCKET and not through the eye itself they will do alright for a good time

7. ike9389

ike9389 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we put shad in a cooler when we net them and after they mess up the water we move them to the live well in clean water and add a little rock salt . don't let the water get warm in the live well . we hook them the same way BAM does in his reply.

8. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    rock salt huh??? never heard that.

I put them on a cooler too...usually on ice if i have it....always work great, but like I said i fish one waterway primarily so my habits tend to that place!

great info man

ben

9. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replys. The reason I was asking is that I have never caught a flathead and in doing research on this site it says the best way to catch one is with LIVE bait. If you can't keep your bait alive, you can't use that bait. So, I guess I have just shortened the list of baits for flatheads.

Thanks again.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have kept them alive for an entire weekend. I have a Keep Alive aerator that is part bilge/ part aerator. I place it in a 20 trash can and the aerator/bilge keeps current and air. The trash can is round which is good for shad. Keeping the temps cool is key as well as changing some of the water when the foam gets on top. I also love live shad as bait. I haven't had any trouble with them dying. In fact most times I am cussing them because they make a mess out of the line. Don't fish another rod near them. I hook under the dorsal in a lake or in the lower mouth through one nostril or through the eye socket.

Good luck.

11. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have found dead shad works pretty well.

12. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey josh....also read on another thread for shad you can hook em through the eye like i showed you for bluegill to keep them alive. we will try it soon enough...

ben

13. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Shad seem like they're always on the verge of death! I've never seen a fish die so easily. Some stripper men use them w/ planer boards. I don't know if they're alive @ the time or not:confused2: I've seen additives and such @ baitshops specifically for shad water. They require a lot of O2 and flow. I do know this, they make fine cutbait! My buddy caught one on a small spinner bait in the Muskingum R...Then it bit him on the finger when he took it off the hook! That's no fish story either. So for payback, I stuck a big circle hook in 'im & tossed him overboard:big_smile_2:

14. Rambo

Rambo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ha ha ha when i net them they are dead within seconds no matter what i seem to put them in.