How to avoid giving up catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chance, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

State:
    United states
    Any one cover up in summer time how do you avoid a trip to dermotologist .My father had skin cancer from spending soooo much time in the sun fishing and doing whatever .I myself went to the local farm and garder and got on big straw hat to shade my face and neck .plus use sunscreen remember to shade your eyes with uv protected sunglases sun damage causes cataracts ive seen it first hand .Sitting in a boaT ON THE WATER IS LIKE SITTING IN A NON STICK SKILLET

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well said, I have a floppy hat with a brim all around it.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    big ol floppy hat and loose fitting clothing plus sunscreen

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I need to get me a big straw hat

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I wear a long sleeve white shirt and a ton of SPF 45 suncreen on my face and hands.

Last year I used a wet bandana around my face like a mask...but you look kinda weird doing it.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I wouldnt get any sunscreen on your hands where you touch the bait.

7. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My wife and I have umbrellas that we use in our boat...

8. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    my dad got skin cancer when he was about 40. he caught it in the early stages and now he has to go back about twice a year to got the spots frozen off. now for him to just be in the sun it said it makes his skin feel like it is being poked with needles. so keep covered up. with lots of good sunblock.
    james

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The back of my neck burns really bad! I have a baseball style hat that has a longer bill and matierial that covers my neck. I think it's a fly fishermans hat, but works really well!

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Great idea I have a miltary stlye floppy hat but it doesn't
    cover my neck very good so I guess that gives me a good reason to go to
    BASS PRO OR CABELLAS he he ha ha
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    how about fish at night?????

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If I could do it all over again.If I could go back,never fish and be in perfect heath now.If it was just me involved and not my family.Ain;t no use lying to myself or anyone else.I would fish even more.There is no hope for me mentally or physically.There is hope for most of you.Take care of yourselves for the people that love you,if for no other reason.If it hurts you,it hurts them.peewee-wiliams.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've got a nice big Tilley hat that keeps me shaded and cool. I don't leave home without it. Plus plenty of SPF 30 - I use the Coppertone spray-on kind and it works well.

But my dad fishes with me and won't wear a hat, won't use sunscreen and never gets burned. Spent his whole life working outdoors and never had a problem with skin cancer.

I'm not taking chances that I'll be that lucky.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland

I agree... Want to truely avoid the sun's damage and still want to go fishing? Do it at night... Its cheaper then going and buying all this sunscreen and sh*t for the day time... Build a fire or buy a small head lamp (the one i use has a night vision mode w/ red LED and then walking mode w/ 2 white lights to light the way, and was only $12 or so)... There are a ton of places around that have night time access the only problem is vehicle safety in some and as long as you feel comfortable with it it should be no problem at all...

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I managed to find a 50 SPF sunscreen that sprays on. It's meant for kids, but the can fits perfectly in my tacklebox.
    With that I always wear a hat.

Due to LASIK in February I am required to wear sunglasses anytime the sun is up, and it doesn't matter whether or not it's covered by clouds. The UV rays mess up the healing process or something.

That reminds me. When it is cloudy, don't forget to keep protecting yourself. The clouds make it seem cooler, but the UV rays are still getting through. Sunburns are usually worse when it is cloudy because people don't realize they are getting burned until it is too late.

16. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Call me crazy, but I just sit under a tree. I only venture out to rebait a hook or reel in something that was crazy enough to bite during the daylight. Most of my fishing is done at dusk and night.

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's still something to discuss due to the large number of those here that fish from boats. I would prefer to sit under a tree while I fish, But I am fishing in the tailraces of a dam with no trees for hundreds of yards.

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I will go out around 3:00am or 3:00pm and fish from then on to avoid peak sunlight in the summer. If I am out in the direct midday sun then I wear a large full brimmed hat, long sleave white shirt and sunglasses. Be carfull not to get any sunblock on the bait!

19. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    With a nice straw hat you would be pulling a Huckleberry. But you have an advantage over Finn though...sunscreen.:wink:

-M Welch

20. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ummm... not trying to be irritatingly obvious here or anything ('cause I certainly don't know your schedule/responsibilities/family situation) but fishing at NIGHT is just the cat's pajamas in my humble opinion.

For sure, you wind up getting a certain different "kit" to your gear, as you wind up with LED headlamps, small bright flashlights, lanterns, etc., to selectively drive away the dark when you've got to rebait, land fish, etc., but the BENEFITS of fishing at night are just outstanding. Check some of them out:

(1) Very little competition generally. Only certain folk are "die hard" night catters, so you won't usually have to fight for a particular square yard of dirt or an open space on the water to cast from. Also the folks at night are usually pretty friendly and knowledgeable.

(2) Its usually nice and quite a bit cooler than the daytime.

(3) You can't get a sunburn (unless our local star goes supernova or something).

(4) Its very peaceful. It can be slightly eerie until you get a "feel" for the night, but overall its even nicer than the day.

(5) The weird mysteriousness of pullling up something unknown from the pitch-black depths really grows on you. Something about the dark makes you feel like every fish could be a sea monster, and brings a cool sense of adventure to the whole thing. Its kinda addictive.

Anyway, just my thoughts on avoiding skin cancer while catfishing till the cows come home (if you want to).

Kevin (Skrod)