How to avoid Bullhead?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by aburk, Nov 7, 2007.

1. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    The lake i currently fish is covered in bullhead some are really nice bullheads(up to 3.5lbs), among these bullies are some very giant channel cat, the problem is that they almost always get the bait before the channel cats do,
    and when i say almost always i mean i have been fishing this lake for 2 years and one day caught 2 channel cats within minutes of each other that were huge and thats it. I know there is some giants in this lake i just need to know how to get past those bullheads.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    use the bullhead for bait:smile2:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    use something alive and fish it about a foot off of the bottom, channels will usually pick it up before bullheads.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You must eat them.

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I agree with the others: eat them, or use them for bait!

6. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If the lake is clean and the water is clear, then you are missing out on a great tasting fish.

But, if you must......then, like posted before, fish off the bottom a foot or so and use a live and larger bait.

Jerry

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you know the channels get big there, then I would increase bait size and go with live bait too.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Fish a different kind of water. FIsh deeper or fish a totally different part of the lake.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    First off aburk, I wanna welcome ya to the BoC ( if I haven't already ). Second I researched them a little to confirm my thoughts to avoid looking foolish..it happens ; )

Bull Cats can be ate, and they are as good as any fish to me. I only took the ones that were around 16" nd smaller. As matter of fact, when I camped/fished in Florida they went from my hook to the frying pan in less than 60 seconds. They made good fish sandwich's. Don't eat them unless its good clear water, also they will hold muddy water taste. As far as avoiding them my only suggestion is to use a larger bait. The average bullhead size is only 1 to 2 pounds, the world record is only 8lbs so if its to big they wont eat it. Big channels can eat some huge bait ( huge hooks also) so don't be afraid. Maybe try your way and on pole #1 and the big bait on pole #2. Big Bait = Big Cats. And yes like said here already you can use them as bait. A big cats will eat other cats just from breeding competition ( so I've read ).

So there is my 2 cents, I hope you figure out something that gets you those big Channels....and if ya do we expect a pic, LOL

-Jim-

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wow, a lot of replies got in before mine did. I didn't mean to repeat everything, LOL I took for ever writing mine.

-Jim-

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Switch strategies. It's been my experience that when I am after bullheads all I catch is little channels! lol Fish more structure, the bullheads won't hang out where the big boys live. Or use them for bait right where you are catching them. The big channels that eat them know where they live too!:crazy::cool2::big_smile:

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah man, just use them for bait. catch them, cut them up or use them live. i will bet you money you will catch them big ole channels then. or just eat em.

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree start fishing for them put them in a bait tank them take them to the river for some big flatheads

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Use a larger hook like an 8/O gamma and 3 or 4, one inch squares of cut shad fillet impaled on it. The bullies wont be able to take your bait unless they are the 2 to 3lb variety. But any size channel can eat that size hook.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Say to your self I am going to catch me some bull heads to use for bait. Do this before you go out then you are assured not to catch any bull heads.....LOL....:smile2:..... Corney isn't ?

16. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Only thing I can really add just reinforces the great advice you've already gotten. Upsize the bait and hooks by using the Bullheads. From what you've said, it wouldn't be a far stretch to assume that those big Channels are eating the Bullheads. So using them (Bullheads) for bait would fit into what they (Channels) have already become accustomed to regarding their foodchain.

Jon