How to attach lead weights to line?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by tuscan toadfish, Dec 9, 2009.

1. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    I fish anchored, in sometimes deep water, with many lines, from a rocking 18' jon-boat. Therefore, I can't keep a tight line. I usually give just enough slack line to keep from dragging bottom rigs with the swinging and rocking of the boat. I usually use pyramid lead weights attached to a 3-way rig to hold bottom. Egg sinkers roll down current. I am afraid fish pick up my bait and feel the weight of the sinkers and drop my bait.
    How can I rig my baits to minimize the fish feeling the weight of my sinkers? Lengthen the leader to hook? Reduce size of sinkers? Carolina rig pyramid weight above 3-way swivel? (Will carolina-rigging abraid and weaken main line?)

2. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use no roll (flat) sinkers or sinker slides with pyramid sinkers above a carolina rig. If using heavy sinkers i use a bead to protect my knot. If the boat is rocking i prefer the sinker slides, not as much wear on your line.

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    def. no rolls, thell hold botom and it dont matter if u got slack in your line

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    sinker slides

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

I agree sinker slides to a bead then knot to a barrel swivel, then a 60LB Mono leader about 12-18" to the Circle hook of your choice. Best rig I ever used

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    this is a good set up

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use the sinker slide rigs religiusoly, very rarely change uneless doing something diffrent, or long casting

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Sinker Slides and will add use with the river sinker.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, if you guys hung up and lost your rigging as often as I do, you would do whatever necessary to hold down the cost. Sinker slides are nice, but sure not necessary. You may try a no-roll sinker, bead, swivel, and a two or three foot leader with a small cork placed about 1 foot from the end of the leader...this holds the bait up off bottom, it is not obtrusive to scare the fish, and you will be able to tell when you get a run. Seeing as how you are boat fishing, let them down in the water real gently and the cork won't wrap around your main line.

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I dont lose as many rigs since I started using 65, 80 and 100 PP as main line, I use the Heavy Duty metal sinker slides instead of the cheapo plastic ones(had a problem with braid cutting through them) I get hung up and break every once in a while but I cannot say that I lose a rig every trip, maybe 1 every 4-5 trips if that, especially from the boat, I never lose rigs only from the bank. I also sometimes use a slip bobber on my leader and it works, although I catch more on the ones directly on the bottom

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Why would you not use a sinker slide rig if you are long distance casting? The only reason I ask is because I only bank fish and use ABU 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets with 12' casting rods. I always use a sinker slide with #65 power pro and #40 mono leader. I am always looking for distance and if I am losing distance with the sinker slide rig, I will change. Thanks

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think there is a tangling concern if you are really trying to sling a 3-way rig.

13. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Team Catfish Sinker Slides and Sinker Bumpers. Lose some but I think its worth it.

14. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    I use the same setup and am very happy with it.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i use a variation of the three way rig, it is simple and it gives you the advantages of a three way rig and a Carolina rig together. i learned this technique from Katfish Ken, and as worked well for me.

on the main line put one regular barrel swivel on the line not tied, then a bead, then tie on your second barrel swivel. the swivel that is tied on, you will attach your leader and hook too. the free sliding swivel you will attach a lighter test line, i use 10lb mono, about 3 feet or so of line to that swivel then to your weight. it will look and act like a 3 way rig, and you can still get the line give of a carolina. i like this rig also because when set up properly if snagged you will only loose the weight the rest you will get back.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    heres a diagram, im not as good as some of the guys on here, but it should give you the right idea.

Attached Files:

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Jeremy,, I use exactly the same rig,,, except,,,:wink::smile2:.. I tie my sacrifice line directly to the weight, and the other end of it,18"-36",,I tie onto a small snap swivel, and just click it over the main line, above the heavy barrel swivel..

In current, this keeps my bait off the bottom, and, allows the mainline to run....

18. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! Like I said, I use a 3-way rig, but I use a snap swivel to attach a weight directly to the 3-way swivel (no tangle problems). However, if the weight gets hung on the bottom I lose everything. My question now is: if I attach the weight with a barrel swivel or a snap so it slides on the main line; won't that ride up and down the main line and weaken the main line? Also, won't I get hung up more, since the bait is being pulled in and out while the boat is swinging and rocking with the waves? I have a 18/60 G3 aluminum boat.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Since i've been using sinker slides, thats the only way i fish anymore.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you don't get hung up occassionaly, your not catfishing. That is a part of the game. It just gets expensive...not quite as high as bass fishing tackle, but still pretty high. Priced a 7/0 circle hook lately? and lead sells here for $.75 per pound... so it don't take many break offs to have soaked up $5.00.