The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some scrap copper sheeting laying around and figured it would work pretty good to make a light relfector for my propane lantern. I guess any really shiny metal would work. I'll do a full write up along with pics asap.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
112 Posts
I have an LED battery powered lantern that I’ve been thinking about adding a reflector to. my idea (a lot cheaper than copper) a gallon tin, both ends cuy out (naturally), cut down one side and since LED doesn’t get hot the can could be fastened to the lantern with just almost anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to use the cheap harbor freight aluminum flashlights and hot glue two opaque salsa cups then glue to the flashlight.
Before putting the cups together t would glue small piece a foil shiney side down. This would reflect back down.
You will need to cut the other bottom of cup so the light goes thru.

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
I have a small elect. (AA) lantern and tin foil does a fine job with it.

Since it is LED with little heat produced I just use scotch tape to attach it.

IMG_1594.jpg

The idea above of cutting up a can will work but if there is little or no heat, I would recommend using a black or dark colored plastic just. Maybe even spray paint one. You could use stick-in velcro strips to secure it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
At one time Coleman sold a reflector that went with their lantern. Adding a reflector is a great idea to any light. The one coleman sold was some kind of polished metal . It had a brace like a flat L, and fit up under the nut on top.

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
Single and double mantle Coleman. Coleman reflector on the single mantel red lantern.

Could easily be made using some tin snips, a clean paint can, some aluminum bar stock and a couple go bolts and nuts. The reflector does two things. reflect of course but more importantly blocks the light from your eyes.

photo 1 15.jpg

·
Registered
452 Posts
Single and double mantle Coleman. Coleman reflector on the single mantel red lantern.

Could easily be made using some tin snips, a clean paint can, some aluminum bar stock and a couple go bolts and nuts. The reflector does two things. reflect of course but more importantly blocks the light from your eyes.

View attachment 315634
Threw 4 like coleman laterns in the trash this week. They had sat unused for 15 years.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,083 Posts
Got a double mantle Coleman that used unleaded gas for my birthday when I was a teenager. It was one of the best birthday presents I ever got besides my first Zebco 33 Combo.
Before that lantern I fished in the dark with no flashlights or lanterns.
Now I use an led light with the tin foil in the back.
I also tried packing tape across the front and colored it with a yellow sharpie. It's way too bright with new batteries but in about 3 or 4 months use it will dim down to the level I like.

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
That is what I like about that little lantern in my hand and a larger one I have they are dimmable.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
112 Posts
That is what I like about that little lantern in my hand and a larger one I have they are dimmable.
Yes! My lantern has 3 bars with maybe 8 LEDs each and three switchable light levels. I hang it from a loop on the tailgate of my Tahoe. Then to bait a hook or rig a line I have a hand held light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts