How tight should a trotline be?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by texasaggie, Jun 8, 2008.

1. texasaggie

texasaggie New Member

State:
    Texas
    How tight should my trotline be? I have had it fairly loose, and then tight, with no noticeable difference in the hook-up ratio. What do you suggest or prefer and why? thanks...

Oh, and what does "boc" stand for?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    boc= BROTHERHOOD OF CATFISHERMEN!!! yes i yelled it. welcome aboard! i like a tight trotline better than loose, big fish don't roll up in it as easy. i don't run lines anymore but hat's how i did it when i did it, :smile2:

your droppers are going to be loose any way you slice it, you just don't want a big ol gar or something rolling up your line and making a mess. it's hard enough untangling a ball of hooks and twine, even worse when other fish are down the line pulling on it!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with the above post, the tighter the better. To go with the above reasons you will get a better hook up ratio with a tight line.

4. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i try to run mine with one end on a strudy branch or stump so that as the line "wears in" and get loose i can tighten it by wrapping it one more time around

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya mean its not "BIG OLE CATFISH" ? :crazy:

6. texasaggie

texasaggie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info.....I have noticed that there is quite a bit of stretch in the main line. I am using 600# line for the main line. Like I said, when it was tight, I didn't notice a significant increase in hook up ratio. However, I have been experimenting with different types of hooks and baits. From now on, I will make sure it stays tight no matter what the other variables are.

I thought it might stand for BIG OLE CATFISH!!! Thanks for the clarification.......

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer a tight line. It's not so critical if the line is set on a sandy flat, but I've always liked to set my lines really close to structure, where a loose line gets tangled.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always run mine tite. I also think you'll hook more with less tangles. You may experience a lil pain in your hands if ya run very many:smile2: that stagin is rough on a fellers hands. Also, if you happen on to a big fish, take the drops off between you and it. Having one run, and pull a hook into your hand sure ruins a good trip. Good luck and welcome to the BOC. It really is a brotherhood made up of fine fishermen/women, and some of the nicest people i ever met.

9. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I set mine loose, but i also put a float every 10 feet or so. Weighted ends floats in the slack and lots of lead line. I tend to set mine across a small channel and do not want tight. Weights in the middle? no just the ends. for every foot of hook line, I have 10 foot of lead line, thats the line leading up to the hook line. I heavy weight the end lines and float with a tiny float the hook lines. I do not trot line much anymore because of the other fishermen I share the waters with. Jug lines are now my thing, I use them to find fish, catch fish and then drift the area or anchor and hit the holes withs bite history. Again I can't stress the idea of long or longer lead lines, it's easier to find them and much easier to rum them.
    lots of luck be careful when running them.
    Keep them lines wet and eat em all

Mrwhiskr

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I like mine tight. Not only does this help from keeping a big cat from tangling your line all up or hanging it up on the bottom but, it will help when a cat first bites. When a cat first bites and pulls at the line it will spring back setting the hook kinda like when a cat pulls on a line with a bobber. Also with a tight line you can set the depth your fishing instead of your hooks being totally on the bottom. I don't like my hooks totally on the bottom. I try to set my hooks six inches to one foot off the bottom in water that is five to seven ft deep. If I'm fishing in deeper water I try and determine at what depth the fish will be moving and set my line at that depth. When setting lines in shallows I also make my weight drops at least six inches longer than my hooks. This will also help keep my hooks off the bottom and gives the main line freedom to do its job in setting the hooks when a fish bites.

I never use floats on my trotlines. We have too many bass fishermen down here that like to cut lines. I try to sink and hide my lines as much as possible. I also try to place my lines diagnally to the bank. This helps some if a bass fisherman snags my line it will usually pull off without him hanging up on my line. If a bass fisherman hangs on a trotline totally and has to troll over to it to save his lure he'll cut it for sure. If it is not deep enough and he hangs up in it with his trolling motor he'll cut it. So you have to watch how and where you set your line to protect your investment. You've spent more money making up that line than that bass fisherman has in that one lure that he will cut your line over. But they don't see it that way.

11. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Texasaggie, you from the Bryan/College Station area?

12. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Run that line tight. The other thing that can happen is with a loose line it lets the drops get closer together. The hooks can possibly tangle with each other and take those hooks out of comission. I don't know about you but I need all the hooks working that I can get.:wink:

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like my trot lines tight, seems like I get a better hookup on fish.jmo

14. texasaggie

texasaggie New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm from Paris, Texas. I graduated from A&M in '04. Thanks for all the info fellas. I could have spent a couple of years experimenting on my own before I figured all of this out...............

15. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I run my lines as tight as I can get them. Thats how my dad taught me to set them when I fished with him growing up. I see no reason to change. It will cut down on your line getting caught or hung up on the bottom and if it does, it will be easier to get it loose. I run my lines staight away from the bank and my drops are from 12 to 18 inches off the bottom. I can only imagine the difficulty in landing a big fish with a loose main line.
    Chris