how tight do you set the drag?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nitemare_63, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    how tight do you set your drag? i was reading about penn 310 gti reels and someone said that if you have over 8lbs of force set to the drag then you can strip something out. i normally set my drag loose so i dont mess anything up but too loose and you cant bring any fish in.

2. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Interesting question. My stepdad is an experienced saltwater fisherman and I asked him about drag settings. What he recommended doing was setting the drag to 1/3 the breaking strength of the line. For instance, if you use 30lb line, you want to set your drag at 10lbs.

I've done this by taking a section of my line and tying it to the hook on my digital scale. I pull the scale back and note the poundage on the screen at which the drag starts to let out. It takes some time to do this, but you will know exactly what poundage your drag is set at.

3. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the advice. so i use 65lb power pro braid so 1/3 of that is 20 and that seems like a lot of force to place on the drag

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah and thats the rub. I use 65 PP too with an AG 6500C3. To my knowledge, that reel cannot handle a 20lb drag force. I think its max, and correct me if I'm wrong, is around 15lbs. When you get into drag settings that heavy, you also have to worry about your rod breaking.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Using a digital scale to set your drag with is a good idea and works well but if you are doing this at right at the reel then you are getting drag force at the reel and not for the line coming off the rod and reel together.

When you are fighting a fish and have your rod doubled the resistance of the line against the rod and guides increases the drag/resistance weight that is being endured by your line. In other words it takes less drag on your reel to hold a fish when you add in the rod and guides drag resistance.

To properly set your drag use the digital scale but have some one pull on the scale with your line tied to it in the same manner as if you were fighting a fish.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Good question/point. I will need to reset my drag now. Thanks for the question :wink:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea your pretty close at around 15# except i would have no fear of breaking any of my rods with 15#s :smile2::crazy: i set my drag by feel and ajust as needed.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I always set mine really loose and I'll tighten it down during the fight because the first couple mins of the fight is always when the fish fight's the hardest and I'm never in any hurry.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circles so My drag is set kinda light at first, I dont use a scale or nothing, I just pull some line opff the reel untill it feels right.

Once the fish is hooked I adjust the drag, many times during the fight if it is a big fish.

10. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I keep mine light, mainly because I really hate losing fish and I really love to hear a reel sing. It really gets my blood pumping and is one of my favorite things about catching bigger fish!:big_smile:

11. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I run 20#, and I try for 6# of drag. I guess at it every time; I have a bit of an idea of what 6# feels like. I turn my drag down real soft after a trip, and re-adjust before every trip. I do this because I've always been told not to store your reel with the drag tight.

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    good advice kev. a guide i fished with kept his drags set at 10lbs. he set his by picking a 10lb weight up off the floor with his rod. 10lbs is hard to clear using your rod believe me.

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    ditto on that

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I set my drag jus enough to set the hook good, then adjust accordingly.

15. festus

festus New Member

You beat me to my point, BenNewt, yes, that's the way I've been setting my drag for years. I read it somewhere, probably Field and Stream or Outdoor Life.