How the heck do I get my boat registered in my name?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dixiedrifter, Apr 8, 2006.

1. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My boat was registered in my grandfathers name as of 2002 in the state of TN.

Several months after the boat's expiration date, he himself expired.

He did not have a will, and the estate was not probated and the boat has been in the backyard composting leaves since then.

So now its 2006 I've got it fixed up and I'd like to get the boat in my name.

How much red tape am I gonna have to go thru to do it?

Or, alternatively, since I have all his personal info, would it be better just to register it in his name and be done with it for the next three years?

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    dunno what kinda boat it is, but in texas, i got a 14 ft johnboat second hand and just went to the parks n wildlife dept n got it registered in my name. think its $30 for 2 years.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Write out a bill of sale from your grandfather...I know, not ethical but I also know people who have had to due it under your circumstances...Or just go to the title department and be totally honest with them, they may cut you some slack.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    take in a copy of the death certificate and there shouldnt be any issues

5. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    If your Grandmother is still alive she can sign it as Mrs and his name and list it as a gift in statement of transfer.

If someone had power of Attorney for him they can sign the same statement for you.

Both above can sign the statement saying it is a gift by inhearitance.

Other than that I would contact the wildlife agency of your state on-line and tell them your grandfather has died and the family gave you the boat.
    They may ask for a statement from his son or daughter along with death certificate that you inhearited the boat but I doubt they will ask for the death certificate.

Jesse

6. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i had to do the same thing and they told me to bring in a death cert. to show he has passed away. since there was no one else to sign anything.

7. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whatever I do, I have to be careful if I want to get out on the water anytime soon.

I'll probably have to get my grandmother to transfer the boat over in my name, which I guess can be done at the county clerks office, then register it in my name.

But knowing how slow the state of TN I'm worried that could take a month or more!

Guess I'll go find out monday.

8. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well its easy then since your granma is still around have her sign a bill of sale and a statement of your granpa being deceased aint no biggie then real easy should have it done in one visit.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jared If you go to the county clerks office and get you a bill of sale.
    Fill out the pertinent info and then take your grand mother with you to a notary public and have it notarized It won't take them at the office but just a few min to fix you up.
    But you do have to have a notarized bill of sale. In the price slot just put as a gift anf show that you grandmother gave you the boat and there will be no problem.
    Be sure to get the Vin number off the back of the boat that is the serial number. If the boat was built after 1973 it will have that number on there some where and they will need the number off the boat that is displayed on the side of the boat.

When they are finished with you the will give you a slip of paper to send in to the dnr and you can take the copy and operate the boat legally until your sticker comes in.

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My father died and I had the same situation. I went down to fish and game with a copy of the letter of administration. They were happy and transferred it to me.

My dad left no will so I had to use the courts to let me take control of the estate. It took about a month. I liquidated all assets without problem. Best of luck to you.