How the do you go about cleanin a catfish??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish nick, Aug 1, 2006.

1. catfish nick

catfish nick New Member

State:
    south jersey
    how we doin fellars i been fishin for quite sometime...but by the grace of god i have taken up the fine sport of catfishin...now i dont need no help really on catchin them..and i eat them all the time at restaraunts ...now its time to grow up and properly learn how to clean my catch. anyone with experience id love to get a step by step. or a link to a video or what not.

keep em tight
    nick

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    People have different ways of doing it, some are better some are not.

For smaller cats we start above there side fins and cut at about a 45 degree angle so that you are cutting just behind the rib cage. Slice all the ways down to about 1/2 inche from where the tail forks. Flip your filet over and start filetting the meat away form the skin. Down side to this is you dont get all the meat.

Some people skin them which gets more meat. Also some people bleed there fish out. Without having someone show you it is hard to explain. Someone else might be able to do a ebtter job, or you mgiht check the BOC library.

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Nick welcome to the BOC. I remember seeing a post not to long ago for this it was very detailed. Go to top or page and search you should be able to find old post.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Nick, click on the library tab. There is a nice thread with pics on step by step cleaning. Hope this helps.......

5. catfish nick

catfish nick New Member

State:
    south jersey
    good god almighty i didnt even look in the library...they got plenty of threads on cleanin...thanks guys for the quick responses and what not

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC Nick ,fillet just like you would any other fish lol but i would bleed it first this was shown to me by my brother and now il pass it on turn the fish over on its back the area were the gills comes together cut this completely lose its the juggler vein allow the fish to bleed to death it cuts down on cleaning or soaking the fish ,when you fillet it remove the skin and all pink meat ,then i soak mine overnight in salt water bout a tablespoon per gallon but thats just me i dont use salt when i cook tho

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I thought all the fish in Jersey were condemned. Ain't you afraid of turning out like Big George if you eat them?

Hold on, you already sound like him:angry:

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, just click on the Library. All kinds of great info in there.

9. catfish nick

catfish nick New Member

State:
    south jersey
    cmon now bob paul cut me some slack lol..i eat what ever looks good..the pollution up here gives the fish a nice taste

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    catfish nick - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25:

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the quickest, easiest & cleanest way to clean a catfish is to fillet it as is and then fillet the meat off the skin. forget rippin the skin off & nailing the thing to a board.

12. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Welcome to the family i see one tip is already needed take a look at the title of the thread and how it's stated. might want to watch the speach just alittle closer not trying to be rude. but little kids are part of the family also and view alot of what we post.

Glad to have you join you will learn lots here.

13. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    How to clean a catfish?

Easy, soap and water. They like it when you sponge bathe them too.

J/K....Sorry my child-like mentality got the best of me there.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC brother! In the library there is even a thread that has pics posted in it on cleaning big cats...