how the big ones hit

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 10, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    from my experiace , the larger they are the harder thet hit, my biggest is 27 pounds, ive had ones that pull my cliker then stop, could theese be smaller ones, i also jig for them in tailraces with a bluegill, i notice they wont run in the headwaters as much so i jig for them ,but i was wondering why yall shun freespolling, i do it and miss very few fish, on the other hand wen i hold the rod i miss them

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You never really know for sure. Ive had them take off like a freight train at times, then other times they barely move the rod tip and sit there until you go to check your bait then realize...Hey! I got one on.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah, what wolfy said. lol next time you hear a single click or two go pick up your rod and gently feel for movement! they will come up on a bait and just suck it in and stay put sometimes.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea but wen you got 8 ounce weghts on how do u fell the tention ive had this problem below the dam, i gues set the hook if i have adought right

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A little one will typically go UHHHNNNNH, it's mine and head for the hills til it feels the sinker and says shew..... I's tarred. If it's really little it will take some, then stop take some and stop.

If it is a supreme commander, she will pick up your bait and you'll feel her just saunter off with it, not stopping, but not in a hurry either.

Or, a big one will also angrily rip off 20 feet of line, killing your gill and then sit and watch it, daring a byswimmer to try to take it. After 10-20 minutes they'll star for the den and be like an Energizer battery.... keep going and going and going.

Hope this helps,

Shawn(OH)

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've seen flathead take off like the afore mentioned freight train...as well as a slow steady run.

Then there's the intermittent pick up...run...drop...pickup...run...drop.

Or they'll tap it like a bass does a plastic worm for periods sometimes lasting over 15 minutes before they finally take it and run.

Or just that one single hard "TAG"...and then they stay put.

But just because the bite isn't an immediate hard run....by no means does that indicate smaller fish.

Nor does it mean it's a giant.

I've had 40 lbers flirt around for an agonizingly long time before I managed get the hook in them.

On the same token...I've had 5 lbers take a hand sized bait...and then take off like they have a pair.

Ya just never know what you're dealing with until ya get the opportunity to look it in the eye. (If you're that lucky...sometimes you get schooled)

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Really big flathead obviously just suck or inhale thier food. Then they will swim away SLOWLY.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Most of the time I have noticed that the bigger fish that I have caught, moved away with the bait slow and steady.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That's my favorite part about flathead fishing, when they go off slow and load the rod up and then you see what you got.

10. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I have had little ones run like a truck and big ones suck it in and sit or pick it up and drop it several times cant tell the differance till i set the hook! Thats what makes it great never know whats going on on the other end of your line!

11. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    the ones i have caught and seen caught just take off with it and dont waist no time all out pole slammed over slappin the water i love it..:cool2::wink: