How strong of line could an 80lb flathead catfish break

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by pabloracer4748, Aug 27, 2009.

What pound test line would a 100 pound flathead NOT break

1. 300-400 lb test

2. 500-600 lb test

3. 700-800 lb test

4. 900-1000 lb test

5. 1,100-1,500 lb test

6. Better use a log chain

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was just kinda curious how powerful you guys think a 100 pound flathead is. If you tied a line to a solid log what pound test line do you think he could NOT break? I have had to up my line strength many times, and now im up to 1,100 pound test. I think I am good but what about when that 100 pounder hits. I realize tying on a truck inner tube or on a nice willow branch makes a huge difference but for this pole just imagine line tied to a solid tree stump in the water.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Just for refence here is a pic of a 100 plus flathead previously posted.

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry, edited the post. I thought you were rod/reel fishing. Disregard.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  4. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I guessed 900 to 1100 test but it's hard to say. That fish wouls fight for its life - no holds barred. Not to mention it is over 60 percent pure muscle!
    Hell , that fish could eat a child or midget with room to spare , so it's hard to say , but at least 900 would be my guess.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    were was the story posted on this fish to me it looks like it would be well under the 100# mark like 85ish:confused2:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WELL ACCORDING TO THE MONO GUYS 20 OUGHTA HOLD IT LMAO:smile2:

7. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i voted 300-400 lbs,i know if i tied 300 lb line to something and tried to pull it into i know i cannot do it.but i bet if tied off solid to a 100lb flat i bet i can hold him,but i could be wrong,

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hope ya could hold him lol id sure like to try

9. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    If I need line heavier then 50 lb i'll take up another sport. Dam'd 1000 lb line. Thats what long hauler use in the ocean.

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I voted the lowest. I've had #48 trotline twine snagged on bottom and pulled till the back of the boat was lowering in the water. Maybe if it was a dead shock weight it would break.

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I'd use the heaviest line that you consistently catch fish on. You have to take into account the fact that tied to a object like that, there's not going to be hardly any give to it, other than the stretch in the cord. Also, a thicker line is going to hold up better to the fish wearing it back and forth on the cover/structure, as well as the pads in it's mouth rubbing on it.

Big fish can generate a tremendous amount of power (thrust). They pull boats all the time. BUT, I don't honestly think that a fish will break line that heavy just by pulling on it. It's getting abraded, weakened, whatever, and losing it's shock resistance, and breaking from that. Line that heavy, the hook would tear out of the fish's jaw before it broke the line from just pulling on it.

If you're having that much of a problem, I think that some is "helping" you check your lines and keeping the fish.

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well the flathead in my avatar was caught on a 8 foot spincast m/h rod with 20 lb test berkly big game of course i know i was lucky i was only in around 8 foot of water with slow current with very little strucure around .
    wouldnt ya know it it hit the junkiest rod i had out in the boat :eek:oooh::smile2:

but the drag was still smooth and yes he took drag around 4 times before i got him in ..

it wieghed 84 lbs on 1 set of scales and 82 on another set ..

also johncatfish young has caught many big flathead on 20 lb test ..

I usually run 30 lb to 40 lb test tho

I dont fish the big rivers like the missouri or mississippi so 30 to 40 lb test is all i feel i need ...

I use to use braid line in 50 lb test but it was just too much of a nightmare to break when hung up for me..

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Are you serious? Way under 100lbs, maybe 85ish? You gotta be kidding me lol, :smile2: you're joking right? :big_smile::roll_eyes::confused2::eek:oooh::crazy::sad2::angry: look at the head, I dont know what kind of 80lb Cat you saw with a head like that, but if you've seen a fish bigger than this one, we need to see it. This fish is in the Georgia fishing section. Wait you are kidding right? :smile2::wink:

14. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I didn't vote cause I'm thinking any of those are overkill. Can you even buy 300lb test line? I seen a guy on Nat Geo catch a 385lb lemon shark on a fly rod with 12lb(officially 16lb because it overtested @13lb). Now I know he didn't horse it in, but still it's 12lb line.:wink:

Here's a link
    http://www.sportfishingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=42340&destinationID=

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thanks just looking for more info:tounge_out: yea but pictures can play tricks on you because its hard to see the exact dimentions, if you hold a fish at arms length its gonna look bigger in a picture than if its held close. thats why i wanted more to the story. as far as a fish breaking a bank line twist shock and abrasion all would be uncontrollable factors:confused2:

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dunno, but i reckon there would be alot of variables involved. But I guess anywhere from 900 and up should be good. But most hooks will straighten before that.

17. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ""if you hold a fish at arms length its gonna look bigger in a picture than if its held close.""

Roland Martin taught us that!:smile2:

18. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    I totally screwed up this poll:sad2: I wanted to delete it and redo it but I couldnt. But thanks for everyones input. Basically I was curous how hard you guys think a big flathead could pull, in terms of lb's. I prolly overestimated there pulling power. I mostly pole fish but also set the occasional line. I use hooks and line that you would think are unbreakable but I still come apon a broken line once in a while and wonder if I just lost the fish of a lifetime. The strongest line broken on me was 600 lbs. I really dont think it was cut it appears to be a break and no rocks or anything close by. needless to say I now use 1,100 pound tarred twine And circle hooks that would double as a tow hook, and my swivels are rated at 1,500 lbs. I guess I could prolly catch a great white shark if he ate my 2 lb bullhead.:big_smile:

Off topic but if anyone is interested, memphis net and twine is where I get my hooks swivels and twine. They have some great deals. Google em!

19. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Sorry I didn't even know that you could get fishing line in that kinda strength. Are you talking about trot lines?

20. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    The world record flathead was caught on 12lb test. As long as your drag is set right and you know how to play a fish you could land it on 2lb test.