How spooky are they?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by DANZIG, Feb 7, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Stockers in a pond, Line and hook as much of a consideration as when fly fishing?

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    hey i trout fished up in ar at heber spring on the little red river i loved it.they didnt scare me though i guess every one scared of some thing

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    if you mean skiddish. yeah trout are relatively skiddish.. but there's all kinds of factors that play in this... fishing pressure, temperature, water transparency, water depth, etc.

Usually cold stocked trout are not as skiddish.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    :crazy: dude my bad i thought you was scared of them.they wasnt skidish when i was fishing

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Oh they be scared alright,ya need to stimulate them. If not they wont bite for years. :smile2:

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Yep, trout are shy of everything. Even shadows, or seein a person wearin a light colored shirt.

Trout are line shy too, and I reckon hook shy. I don't know about fly fishin but although they may be a challenge I think they are kinda uninteresting but might be more fun on ultra light gear.

7. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Trout are very shy. It not hard to get them scared and then they won't bite

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I spend quite a bit of time fishing for trout. Both stockers in the local rez's and natives in the mountain streams. trout are probably the most skiddish fish I have ever targeted. I think I could sneak up on a deer better than on a trout. But out here stockers dont tend to be too skittish.

For the stockers in the rez's I use 12 pound mono line and 1-2 ounce sinkers. They bite pretty easy and I dont ever have much of a problem catching them. So as long as you are quiet and STAY LOW. That is the main thing that will spook them, shadows; especially if it's a moving shadow (like casting). Let us know how you do! and let me know if you need any more help with things like bait or lure selections.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I spend quite a bit of time fishing for trout. Both stockers in the local rez's and natives in the mountain streams. trout are probably the most skiddish fish I have ever targeted. I think I could sneak up on a deer better than on a trout. But out here stockers dont tend to be too skittish.

For the stockers in the rez's I use 12 pound mono line and 1-2 ounce sinkers. They bite pretty easy and I dont ever have much of a problem catching them. So as long as you are quiet and STAY LOW. That is the main thing that will spook them, shadows; especially if it's a moving shadow (like casting). Let us know how you do! and let me know if you need any more help with things like bait or lure selections.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Lawrence, I find this thread funny coming from you.

Don't know how it is in WV, but the majority of spots I've been to in NC are stocked these days.

Not that THAT matters......do trout who've been PUT in a certain area know anything other than TROUT who are native?

I say "GET the waders bro! Catchin' trout, it's FUN, and most times more of a challenge than other fish."

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    since your asking about a pond trout there not spooky at all ....there like paylake trout ...they were bred with people throwing food to them ..why would they be afraid of shadow's or sound ? and they are not line shy either why do you think so many people pay to fish for them? Yes i know you asked about stocker's for a pond but there just like pay lake trout!!!

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I'll be dipped in hog manure, hung up and used as an air freshener, Lawrence and I can actually talk about something on a level playing field.

Mornin' Lawrence, it depends on whether the trout are Libertarians or Republicans. Libertarian trout are stocked trout, easily manipulated by all approaches to catching them. Republican trout are wild and shy, orange bellied and fat and smart.

Seriously Lawrence, stockers are stupid. If they don't bite it has nothing to do with presentation and bait. Worms (red, chunks of crawlers), sweet corn (frozen), minnows, Power Bait, crickets, grasshoppers, hellgrammites, spinners, plastic lead head wrigglers, tied flies (use the rarest feathers of any Amazonian bird), midges, have caught them on bare gold J hooks. The reason I have found that they are not catchable is environmental; wind, air pressure, water temp., fronts all that jazz.

Stockers who get past the first couple of weeks are usually then on their way to becoming real fish (Republicans). These guys are then a challenge, much like wild guys. Shadows, noise (they know whether you are a cow walking the bank or a human of the species, line size, whether stream placed, pond placed or lake placed, etc.

Stockers that overwinter or go upstream or downstream from the pack of humans trying to kill them are the most fun. You catch those puppies you can actually call yourself a true fisherman. Different techniques I could tell ya but you wouldn't listen anyhow. (LOL) Luv ya Lawrence.

Stuck in some pictures. Been doing this for twenty years and while not an expert in any way shape or form I do manage to catch more than my share when in the mood.

John.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    PB's a genius. i luv it.

On the other hand, I've never caught a trout in my life, stocker or wild, so who am I to comment?

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Lawrence, I find this thread funny coming from you."

And why would that be?
    I am not much of a "pay lake" fisherman (that's what the spot reminds me of.
    It's not a pay lake but if you set up a booth and charged there would be little difference, fountains and all) so this is new to me. I went there a couple times last year and my catch rate could have been better to say the least.
    -------------------------------

"Perhaps one day you'll have the fortune to chase some smart wild trout. You'll find that they can demand the best of your presentation!"

That I have done! Twice, down to the GSMNP, and plan to again this spring. I enjoy it, but it does little for the frying pan. Even if you did catch 'em big enough to keep, I think the Real fly fishing guys would beat you to death with a 3 wt rod if you attempted it!! :smile2:

----------------

John, about the only survival going on at this place are the ones that survive the crush of folks following the stock truck. 15 acers with a max of 15 ft deep. Bathwater warm by late spring.

But I think you have their politics wrong, The Libertarians are the truly wild trout, Brookies!
    The repubs might be stockers gone wild, The one's who owe their success to some one else, but claim they did it all on their own.:wink:

Thanks for the replies folks! I need all the help I can get!
    The trout stamp costs me ten bucks and they made a profit on me last year!!:smile2::smile2: