How soon is too soon?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by dwidder, Feb 3, 2008.

1. dwidder

dwidder New Member

State:
    MO
    Hi all. I'm new to BOC and had a question. I've never seen any turtles until the temps warm up to the point where it is consistetnly above freezing. I thought that turtles went into hibernation but I get the feeling that maybe this isn't true. Any advice?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in the southern half of the u.s. reptiles in general go into a state of dormancy rather than hibernation. this is why on warm winter days you might see a lizard or snake sneaking through the leaves, or a slider cruising the shoreline. reptiles need to thermoregulate, even during dormancy. the only difference is the level of activity and feeding. they will rarely if ever eat during the winter because they can't metabolize food without the thermoregulation and since the warm periods are few and far between, it could be harmful to the animal to eat and not be able to digest its food.

3. LadyTurkeyHunter

LadyTurkeyHunter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    From what I have learned here in Iowa, Turtles tend to bury themselves in the mud just before the first good frost and the ice starts to form on ponds and etc. You start seeing them moving around again after the ice is gone and the temp gets back up in the 50s or so... it is common here in the spring to see a big old snapper crossing the road with his back covered in mud or clay on his way to a water hole... it is also common to see them moving across the roadways in the fall just before the big freeze....Seeing a turtle on the move is generally a good indication that spring or winter is here. Just from my observation.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!! Sorry I can't help you with your question, it seems like you have some good advice already!:wink::big_smile:

5. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hi David. Welcome to the BOC! I caught a lot of
    snappers last year and I kept them in clean trash cans with water until I was ready to clean them.
    When fall came and the temps dropped to around
    50 degrees they quit eating. They were hardy eaters
    up until then. Sooo,I don't think you'll have much
    luck catching them until it really warms up in the
    spring. And yes,they do hibernate.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Welcome to the BOC.As far as your question My mom and Dad told me to wait until I was married!!!!!:smile2::big_smile::roll_eyes::crazy::wink:

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont know if they hibernate or not but 3 weeks ago it was about 12 degrees and me and river cat rat cauht one in the gill net.

8. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Turtles become lethargic durring the winter months but they will still move around. Their metabolism drops to the point to were they do not need to eat and they actually breath through their skin by absorbing dissolved oxygen. We have went out on shallow ponds that have frozen over and been able to spot snappers and cut a hole in the ice with a hatched and retrieve the turtles. But as far as setting lines or traps for them you might as well wait for warmer weather.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: now that was the best one all day!

10. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Welcome to the BOC! As for as your question I do not think it is a true hibernation.