How soon is too soon for Christmas in a store?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DLB-in-GR, Sep 30, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I know, every year the stores get out the Christmas stuff even earlier than the last year. But September 29? I haven't even started to think about Halloween yet, and Home Depot had Christmas trees and lights out for sale. I say we just dedicate an area of all the stores to Christmas year round, at this rate it will come to that.:roll_eyes:

Seeing that stuff out this early really made me laugh, it made my day, so there's a good thing.

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well I think they are putting them out this early because of the way the economy is....

Question should be, is when do you start x-mas shopping? My wife informed me the other day that all our x-mas shopping was already done...she starts the week after x-mas, by this time of the year she is done with it.... good thing because she wont get me in a store at that time of year, and she knows it....

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I don't even consider summer to be over until the regular MLB baseball season ends. I don't start to think about Christmas until the cyber-monday sales after Thanksgiving. Try to avoid those stores, online shopping is great, but I have to get groceries... Those check-out lanes during Christmas week at some stores take 30 minutes or more of just waiting.

So, to modify the question, how soon do people really start buying Christmas stuff?

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    when I worked retail we started to get ready for Christmas about the end of Aug.by Oct we were ready. WE sold trees and they started to come in the 1st week of Nov. We sold 9,000 Trees@ 5-8 dollers.
    smokey

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I saw Christmas stuff in Lowes probably three weeks ago. I think it shouldn't be in there until the Halloween stuff comes down, of course everybody wants to be first because of competition.

Not too long ago Christmas stuff didn't go on sale until the day after Christmas, now it goes on sale well before Christmas, and most is gone before it actually gets here. That's fine by me, because if I actually buy anything it's usually already on sale before I buy it. If I decorate outside I might do that early (used to have it done by Thanksgiving), but inside stuff is usually only up two weeks.

As far as Christmas shopping, I like to do it as soon as I can. Of course some people you can't do that with, but some you can. I've been buying things at stores that were going out of business for Christmas gifts. Plus, it helps spread that cost out over more of the year.

6. hillbillygurl

hillbillygurl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm terrible at christmas shopping I'm one of those people that usually waits til December to even start thinking about it. Then I complain that there are to many people in the stores. I know I do this and should start earlier but I just cant seem to find the time or money.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think personally that christmas stuff should start showing up after thanksgiving. before that, there are to many other holidays to get ready for.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I don't like to see Christmas stuff out in stores early either. I think around the end of November is soon enough. I just can't get into the Christmas spirit till December. I do like to pick up things all through the year and put them back. But to see everything set up this early, that just don't seem right.

9. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We start decorating in Oct at our house, We cover about three acres with 200,000 lights,98 statues, around 50 trees, a 1/2 size Christmas village,and a live manger scene. I wish I could find stuff all year. We work on our decor all year in the shop. We have one daughter and four grandkids. Makes it all worth wild..I always heard ..you have to grow old..but you don't have to grow up..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with jeremy on this one. They are starting a way to early.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I say put it out the day after thanksgiving,Thats plenty early.:wink:

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'd have to agree about waiting until after Thanksgiving. That poor ole holiday gets shuffled between Halloween & Christmas, & nobody even gives it the proper attention it deserves.:embarassed: It's just "the one in the middle". I for one love the whole Thanksgiving/autumn feeling. Seeing Christmas stuff too early just starts the stress factor to going up......:crazy:

13. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I'm with the people who say the day after Thanksgiving. The one that makes me SICK is QVC, and HSN when they have CHRISTMAS in JULY.