how soon is to soon

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Nov 14, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Over this past yr I have met many new freinds at out BOC gatherings.
    I have went to everyone of the gatherings and cant wait until this next yr to start again.

We have well over 200+ memebers in Kansas and it would be nice to get some more new memebers to attend next yr.

Just how soon should we start planning for next yr.

I know we had four total this yr but i think the one in June was kind of the mega gathering the other three were just a hand full of us wanting to camp/fish/bs.

If we were to start planning now would we get more memebers that could schedule their time off way ahead of time and get prepaired to come say in June to the MEGA of all BOC gatherings.

We had some great times this yr and had memebers from OK,Neb and all corners of the state attend and would just like to see us get one planned that would alow more of us to attend.

Whats every ones thoughts?

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I totally agree Tom. I thought about starting this conversation myself. I vote Perry or John Redmond , the Outlet Park of course. If we get lucky , and they are letting water out on that weekend, we should all have a good shot for a big fish. :wink:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its never too early to start planning or at least talking about it. Good luck with your events

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I say the sooner the better. Maybe we can pick a place and then wait awhile to pick a date. Or we can just pick a date too.:smile2: I do like the idea of John Redmond in the spring. The gatherings are a blast and because of them we are no longer strangers.
    I do wonder how we can have 200 members in Ks and its quieter than a library. Come on guys, be active on the board. We already have one of the most active states, but lately it has died down. Instead of 15 people reading messages, lets have 15 people posting something. It doesnt have to be about catfishin. If you are hunting, let us know how you are doing. I am curious.
    We have something great here and I would hate to see it fade away. We cant leave it to the same people all the time.
    Id like to shoot for a Mega Gathering. We had a lot show up last time and teh weather was iffy. If we start now we should be able to get the word out and have a good showing.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yes more new memebers need to get invloved and help decide when and where we are going to have the gatherings.

I would like to go ahead and maybe post on the gathering site and get a place and date set for June.

Then we can plan all winter long what to do.

If we can get more people to say they would come then we could plan a little better on food and events for a weekend.
    Maybe even get some sponsers to chip in and get some speakers there as well.

Hell we have some of the best cat fisherman here in the state that i bet we could get to come and talk a little catfishing with the group.

We have some very fine folks that have talent in cooking from smoking meats to frying to baking to making chili and breakfast.

I'm willing to help as much as possblie and do a lot of leg work where need to make these gathering a great exsperance for everyone and their familys to attend.

There is no douth that you will meet someone that will become a friend for life at these Kansas gatherings.

Please jump onboard and help us plan for next year.You wont be sorry..

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Well said Tom. I agree 100%.
    You always do alot for the gatherings. I appreciate it.
    We have a great bunch of people here and we all have something to contribute. We all have different personalities and fishing styles. Alot of us fish different waters. We all have something to teach and something to learn.
    Plus the conversation possibilities are endless as is usually the beer and bs.:wink::smile2: Just watch out for Jim.:crazy::smile2:
    If not for the gatherings I would have never fished those lakes and I wouldnt have met some great people. I can only imagine what they would be like if we had 50-60+ members show up.
    And thats not even mentioning the chow.:wink::smile2: We have some great cooks and there is always enough for everyone. We eat good!! From fish fries to bbq and first class breakfasts, we dont go hungry.:smile2:
    And last but not least the laughs. I have never laughed so much in my life. We have some crazy characters around here and they are even worse in real life.:smile2: The entertainment value alone is worth coming.:wink:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Kyle,But everyone pitches in one way or the other thats what makes it so great.

Hell i have seen family reunions that was nothing but a bunch of talking behind everyones back and Bitc!!!!!! all day long.Hee!Hee!

But not at the gatherings.It's just something how everyone helps everyone from pitching tents to cooking to getting fire wood to getting bait and people offering their boats to anyone for a day of fishing on the water.

Members are alwas bringing stuff to give away from ,jerky,to hooks and sinkers and bait holders to rod holders and line to new types of bait you name it it's there.And even some fine new beverages have been tested.

I have alwas learned something at every one of these meets,and would like to see everyone get involed and enjoy what we have to offer.

It would be fun to have part of a day set aside for the Kids. Like maybe a casting contest and even a perch catching contest.With prizes!

If we could get someone like John Jamminson,and the Mega Cat crew,and CatDaddy to come would be great.

Maybe i'm dreaming a little but it's fun to think Big..

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    What if I go to the gathering section and start a thread fo the (2009 KANSAS MEGA GATHERING). Then from there we can start the decision making process of where we want to have it. Myself I would like to try Perry! John redmond just sounds a little to shallow for me.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Chris if you can get it started that would be great.

I like Perry myself too but we will let the polls tell us i guess.

I just hope that the members that vote for their location attends.

There seems to be alot that votes and then not show up.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I will be activated again next summer for National Guards. We already have gotten our warning order and are training for the mission every drill until we leave. I won't post were we are going on the internet because I don't want a bunch of private messages about OPSEC. It is overseas but it is not back to Iraq or Afghanistan. I am not going to give a date when we are leaving either, but I will say if the gathering is not the first or second week of June I will not be around. Ok with that said:

Let's make this the largest gathering yet. I have been to 2 of them this year and it was a great time. It is truly a great experience. We have some of the nicest and most generous people around at the gatherings. Even if times are tough for you just show up. I will guarantee we will take care of ya while you are there. When the date is set, mark it on your calendar. You will not want to miss it.

11. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Maybe June 6,7,8 like the last June one? I would be up for late May too.
    What are some other choices for a location?
    John Redmond, Perry, Toronto, a state lake?

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I think for our mega gathering it should be at Perry. Your going to get alot more people to come their. It would be good to try to get KDWP representative (game warden or biologist) at the gathering, to talk with them too.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Glenn Elder, Clinton, Hillside, Perry, Cheney, El Dorado, Marion, John Redman, La Cygne, and Melvern.

These are the ones that hear about most that would also be size enough for a mega gathering. I left out Milford and Tuttle since we have done them already.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I am up for anywhere. I dont fish a whole lot at these. I would just prefer nice camping.
    Its sad that anyone would miss it because they have to drive.:wink: Everytime there are plenty of members who drive long distances. Maybe gas will still be decent?
    I would rather bank fish a river instead of a lake but I dont come for the fishin. I come for the friendship and the food.:smile2:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Guys for the ones that dont live around Perry it is a very nice lake.Full of Channels and Big Flatheads.The blues are just getting started.

But for camping site's there are some good ones.

At old town (upper-end) there are some great tent sites along with hook-up sites that are right on the water.

At Slough creek same thing with deeper water to fish in.

At State park there are two areas that are right on the water but they have no hook-ups.

Myself I would think oldtown would be the best place with short distance to the mud flats under 92 bridge and the Delaware river.

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    It would be nice to fish from the campsite like we did at Milford and Tuttle. That way some of us can kill 2 birds with one stone.:wink:

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Tom has it nailed about Perry very nice lake to fish. Another nice lake would be Melvern. I would give it the same report other than the Blues. I have heard they are doing much better than at Perry, even heard of a few real nice one getting caught this year.

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dan, Melvern would also be a good choice.The Sundance area (upper-end) would be a great place right on the water for camping and again be right where boat fishing is close to the flats and the river where some of the best flathead fishing around is.

And the blue's are getting Big there in the 20lb plus range.

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    ok I started a 2009 mega gathering on the "gathering" section.

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I agree Kyle.Fishing from camp is a must.But also nice to have close fishing for some good boat fishing.And both Perry and Melvern have both for us.

And I would have to say Melvern is the better for both.