How soon do you move?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Blake Waterworth, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wandering how long you guys like to fish a spo before you decide to move?:confused2:
    And when you move do you usaully go to completly different area or just reposition in the same area?:confused2:

2. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I fish 20 to 30 min if i don't have a good bite i reposition the boat don't normally move more than a half mile in a night but have been in a good hole so far this year id like to know what others are doing maybe it would help me also

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i usually fish a spot 30 min are so. if i know the spot should hold fish i wont move very far.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Usually, I fish a hole maybe 20 min and move on to another area.... Mostly as of Lately, I go to productive areas and set up for the night and then move on..... If on the Colorado river and a dark night, I have prefished areas that I feel may be more productive.....

Its been a while since I've fished new water... but it is nice to set-up and fish for 20 min, and then let out the anchor say 50 ft and try again...

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I like to work an area over pretty good, moving around the rods after 10 to 20 minutes of one spot. Sometimes I can take up to an hour to hit every spot from an anchor point, sometimes there's only one or two spots to hit and I'll be outta there under an hour. Then there's the hot sunny days where I just follow the shade, for me:wink:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Depends on the time of year for me. When fish are most active, during the pre spawn and after the spawn, I move often, every 25 to 30 minutes. During winter when fish are more lethargic, I may sit in one spot a couple of hours.

Bill in SC

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Blake I usually sit in a spot at least one hour. Alot of times longer. I set up in places that I have a lot of conifdence in. When I move I look for certin types of water for the time of year. I usually dont catch a lot of fish but when I do it is usually a good fish.
    Tom

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll usually give it about 30 minutes and move. If I'm on a proven area I may only move 50 yards or so and often that can make a difference. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Depends on how well I'm sleeping:wink:

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For me it depends on the area I am fishing. If I am confident in the area I will give more time than I would in a spot I am unfirmiliar with.

11. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Amazes me how many people stay in one spot for a period of time. I use to be one of those people and will never go back. I always troll for my cats, two poles in the shoot with 4 poles on planers off to the side. I constantly out-catch my cooleges that sit in one spot for 20 minutes…than off for another 20 at another spot. Trolling enables me to find active fish much quicker and only when I double or triple up on my troll will I stop for a few.... because in know I found a school of feeding cats. J

12. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are you talking about fishing the MO river or a lake? I know of a few people that drift or Bump as some call it on the MO river and that is only a one rod job, because of all of the changes in the bottom. You can't run more than one rod and not plan on snagging up.

13. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i fish a spot for about an hour,, if i get some bites i stay a little longer, i have a mandatory 20 min after every bite:smile2:. but if no bites i move on

14. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys for all the good info. I was just interested to see what everyone does!:big_smile: