How smart are deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffw51, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    how many of you have whitnessed a big buck or even a doe do something intelligent.they say its all instinctual but i have seen big bucks do things that seem to be calculated and thought out.i mentioned in an earlier post about watching a big buck evade deer dogs by circling around behind them hidden by a cedar tree.i pulled up to a field in my truck and noticed a nice buck standing there in the grass, a movement caught my eye and turned to see a doe standing nearby.when i looked back there was no buck i even wondered if he was ever there,the doe took off running and as she left the area,i saw something move in the grass, it was the buck crawling on his belly very fast,the only reason i saw him at all is because he had to cross a small hill to get away leaving him exposed for a second.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here after the first day we will make runs toward posted men. I have seen bucks literally standing upright in cedar trees to hide themselves from men going by. Or they will pick the biggest clump of grass in a 40 acre field and never raise their heads. If the weather is cold enough the only way you know they are there is from the steam from their noses.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've also watched them do that belly crawl, it's weird alright.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    a couple seasons ago we were headed out of the woods. we rounded a corner and there stood a buck in the middle of the road. im pretty sure he was blinded since we were only about 30 feet away.
    the buck instantly dropped to his belly in the road and slowly crawled to the side, across the ditch, and underneath a lone gallberry bush. we sat there for 5 minutes untill we realized he wasnt going anywhere. we came back the next day to see if he had been shot and wounded, but never found blood. the best we could tell from the tracks he got up after we left and continued walking.

5. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

i heard a storey of a deer push, a guy i know and is not known for BSing said his dad told him when he was younger they were pushing a woods and a big buck would run right for the swamp he said you couldnt even walk in this swamp, he says he seen the deer go right in the water tip his head back and lay right down with 1/2 his rack under water and just his nose sticking out. he said seeing that made him feel bad cause that deer was so affraid of humans. he supposedly seen this deer do that and didnt have the heart to shoot it cause he thought it was so amazing but i have a hard time believing that one.

6. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

i heard a storey of a deer push, a guy i know and is not known for BSing said his dad told him when he was younger they were pushing a woods and a big buck would run right for the swamp he said you couldnt even walk in this swamp, he says he seen the deer go right in the water tip his head back and lay right down with 1/2 his rack under water and just his nose sticking out. he said seeing that made him feel bad cause that deer was so affraid of humans. he supposedly seen this deer do that and didnt have the heart to shoot it cause he thought it was so amazing but i have a hard time believing that one.

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    The ones we have around here are not very smart..In the past 20 years I have had 2 trucks completely totaled and have run over 3-4 more from deer just walking out in front of me..both of the deer that totaled my trucks I could see from a good distance coming across a field..I kept thinking..I'm sure they are going to stop, i'm sure they are going to stop, i'm sure WHAMMO...RRRRRR..SPISHHHH (from the radiator)

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    while walking a river draw i came upon a dried up slew i could see about 100 yards,i heard a truck comming and a small buck busted out of the timber and crossed the slew and stopped on the rivers edge ready to jump in.as the danger passed he crossed back into the timber where he came from.as i stood there he repeated this two more times as different cars went by.i have no doubt that if he would have heard a car door slam or anymore threatining noises he would have jumped in the river.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Keith... Those weren't dumb deer.. They just decided they couldn't take it anymore and commited suicide.. And figured out a way to mess up your day at the same time.. hehehe