How skinny is too skinny

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by anchorpuller, Oct 9, 2008.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey Doc...

Ever since we brought this lovable ole weener snatcher into our home, my little yorkie has been losing weight.
    I'm a little afraid she is getting too skinny.

The weener snatcher literally will suck your corndog off the stick if you blink an eye! She also intimidates the little dog around the food bowl. Sweetie (yorkie) will grab her a bite and run. Coda doesn't growl or anything, just nudges herself between anything that gets near the food bowl.

I have tried feeding them separately, but sweety eats small amounts all day long. Never will she eat more than a bite or two at a time. Hog gobbler licks the bowl clean and has gained at least ten pounds since coming here.

Sweety isn't acting sick or anything, just getting skinny. Her largest has been 5 1/2 pounds. She is down to under 5 now. What to do?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    More Mikey D's hold the onions! Just keep the windows down on the ride home. :roll_eyes:

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Until they work out who is in charge, look for your dog to be a little on the
    slim side. Might take months but eventually the critter will get back to its
    favored set point on total body weight. They might not fight unless you are
    nowhere to be seen and they may be a lot more nervous than usual.

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    well if you plan on eatin him dont let him lose too much:tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out::wink:

5. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    To get the darlings to show themselves...

Attached Files:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The redhead dont take on the blond.....LOL

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sometimes you have to free feed beyond a new dogs ability to eat. What I mean is, when you get a new dog, they are unsure of their surroundings and are not certain where their next meal is coming from. When I first got my female daschund she gobbled down food as fast as she could eat it. I just kept her food station full and soon, she learned that the food was there for her regardless. Get one of those food stations with the fillable hopper that holds like 5 lbs of food and keep it full. Sure, they eat alot at first, but once they learn the food is always going to be there the eating tapers off.
    Its a good idea to raise all dogs like this as they eat less in the long run barring any behavioral problems.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mornin' Laura. If I remember right that cake decoration was a little raunchy.

Miss and Mr Kings and Queens:

Breed standards for Yorkies are that they weigh no more than 7 lbs. The average weight is between 5-7 lbs, so while you have weight loss everything probably is all alright. Medically what you might have to worry about with this situation and the change from her previous eating habits is hypoglycemia. You are a nursey-nursey so you know what this means.

Miss Queen I would imagine does not like hog-gobbler too much. Non aggressive, these dogs will sometimes just melt into the background and not defend themselves or a situation. Hog -gobbler should be taken down a notch or two but that is sometimes difficult to do. Miss Queen I am sure has weight loss from the change in her ability to get food but also I am sure she is a little mental with this new dog and the change in her status. As Catatonic mentioned time may well rule out until the pecking order is established. Unfortunately it may not.

If possible this dog needs a safety zone to just get the He$$ away from hog-gobbler. Depending on your home situation, devise a device to deny and detain the new dog. Like everybody, as you well know with kids and a husband, a place should be allowed for some quiet time. Something as simple as a big box with a hole cut in it her size so numbnuts can't get in is all that is necessary, or a gated doorway with an opening she can get through to get away from him. Or you could always just shoot the new dog.

Later, John.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    A medium sized dog carrier could be a good refuge for your passive dog. It could also be fed separately in the carrier until they work things out.

I have heard that a lot of animal health professionals frown on free choice feeders. However with a small dog thats used to just a bite or 2 scattered throughout the day they work a lot better and are a lot easier on us humans.

I have 4 cats and got tired of constantly having to fill mine, so I took an empty 4 gallon litter bucket and converted it into a feeder. I fill it once every 2 - 3 weeks now, and trust me, they tell me 2 days before its empty.

The other thing that comes into play is the urge to dominate. They have a drive to be the power closest to the top (you) the pack leader. So be the pack leader, you decide who gets what in what order. You can still love them both, but that does not mean you have to treat them equally. Myself I'd take the hog gobbler down a peg, make it a bit more unsure of itself. While raising the yorkie up a notch.

If your not the pack leader (the boss) your setting yourself up for nothing but trouble. Because that hog gobbler will take over and rule the roost.

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks Doc and everyone.

Here's what I came up with and am doing. Sweety sleeps with me, much to my darling husband's chagrin. We shut the door to our room at night. I've been taking her some choice niblets in with us at night and putting them on my cedar chest that sits next to the bed. She can then enjoy a midnight snack in peace.
    When we rise and open the door, hog gobbler will clean up any morsels she didn't choose to partake of.
    I'm leaving the hard food down during the day and she continues to grab her a bite here and there.
    So far, she hasn't shown any signs of hypoglycemia. She is as perky and bossy as ever. Wish I could catch a picture of her laying into my husband's pussy. It's hilarious. Poor cat just shakes until the four paws and one jaw lets go. Then the cat slinks off laughing, I believe.

11. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have yorkies someone stole one from us. Does anyone know what we might try to get her back. We have offered a reward but nothing yet if youall have an idea I will try it. I have thought of murder dont know who, Thanks Sam Davis

12. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sam, try calling around to all vets in the area. Maybe someone will remember a new client with that description.
    It might work.