How should I fish this hole for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mazdabob, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I'm brand new to flathead fishing so I'm not to sure what I'm doing quite yet, but back in March before the corps raised the missouri river to nav. levels I went and did some scouting at a state park just north of where I live. I think I found a really good hole to find some flats, hopefully. I attached a real crappy MS Paint I did to try to help ya visualize.
    This particular area is behind a wing dike that has a cut right at the beginning of it. Back in march when I was scounting around, the whole area out to the end of the dike was dry except for the holes which are connected by a small channel. After the holes the bottom slopes up into sandy bottom that is strewn with logs and debris caught in the sand. I would guess that the sandy bottom I'm talking about is about 5-6ft deep right now (the river is pretty full now).
    Can y'all give me suggestions on the best way to fish this area??
    I'll be fishing from the shore with my 10ft Eagleclaw watereagle rod with a shakespare freeliner reel. I'll be using both live sunfish and bullheads as bait. Thnks in advance guys!

Attached Files:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think you got you a good area, I would fish both holes in the daytime, and maybe between them at night, looks like you cant go wrong there.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi. bob. Nowyour in my neck of the woods and if your serious about catching big fish flats and blues I can tell you where to start. Put your boat in at the lake manawa river ramp and go down stream past the discharge choot of Ia.power plant at the mouth of moscito creek .but be carful because there building a new power plant right next to the two older ones and there is a cablel running across the mouth of moscito creek. pull your boat up the creek about 50 yards into the mouth of the creek and ancor its best to get there just befor sundown.on the south side of the creek where it joins the big MO. there is a log jam place your bait just upstreem from from the jam .I like to use live bluegill on a standerd bottom rig only use a 12 to 14 inch leader and 6 inches from your bait place a bobber as to keep your bait off the bottom .I personaly know of 1 flathead and 1 blur that went lover 50# pounds each not to mention several 10#to 14# channel cats that have come out of that spot.PM me for any questions.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fish the core of those holes during the day, then at night fish near the banks and edges of that wing dam. if the currents not too bad try using a float set about 6ft deep. i have a hole somewhat like that, river scum and foam forms in the eddy's drawing shad and carp. they feed on that stuff right at the surface and at night the flats surface there to ambush the shad and carp. in that situation i catch them 3ft deep on a float.

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I have simular hole I fish where there is transitions water between depths.
    I think if you have current up by the deeper hole and protection by the dike the eddie between the dike and the deep water might be a place for cats to wait for food coming down river. The shallower hole might be a place where hunting for bait fish might take place but for one cast I would try the eddie behind the dike by the upper hole.

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Don't be afraid to fish that hole fairly aggresively. Try the deeper areas, that 15ft/25ft deep hole during the day. During early morning and early evening as the sun is setting, get your bait out on the slope you mentioned and at night, try the flats around the deep holes. And constantly fish the cover there, sandy bottoms with logs in the sand like you explained are excellent flathead haunts. As a previous brother said, make sure to bring your heavy duty tackle, and don't forget a trusty rod holder, you don't wanna leave your pole unattended in that situation. As for the baits, your in the right genre, live bluegills and bullheads should steer you right. Good luck and let us know how you do.

7. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What rig are you useing? i would use a three way swivle with a 0/6 gamakatsu(srry if i spelt that wrong) and about a three ounce drop weight for the sunfish and 8 ounce for the bullhead.have fun

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Lots of good info already here mazdabob, but just like therockhound said, be ready to use you're equipment because those flatties head straight for heavy cover as soon as they strike. Good luck bro, and let me know how you do. I'm just on the other side of the Mighty MO from ya.

SudDawg

9. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live in Iowa and i fish on the Raccoon river. There are a lot of log jams.One thay call windy bend the river snakes around it makes an s shape just on the first bend is where all the logs and every thang hang up. I have hear that alot of big flats have been taken out of there but i have only fished it once and that was just before the tornato sirens went of and i was about 3/4 of a mile up river. the state just put 6 new wing dams in on the middle coon how long should I wait to fish them.I havent fish an wing ddams before just dams,banks and open river. thanks cathunter

10. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Well I went out and fished the hole and I was skunked! The river was down about 3-4ft from the last time I had checked the hole, so a lot of the timber that was submerged when I was there before wasn't on saturday. I did fish the holes though and had a few bites on the sunfish from the looks of them.
    I just need to be patient.
    Well it'll be a at least a couple weeks now before I'll get back out though, because I start a new job tomorrow and I'll be working as much OT as I can for a couple weeks to catch up some bills.