How should I cut ??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Oct 28, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    how should i cut blue gills and sunfish if im going to use them as cut bait ??

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    with a knife....... sorry

3. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    i didnt say with what ... i said how... like into steaks?

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    it depends on how big the bait fish is and the size of fish you are after the bigger the bait the bigger the fish has to be to eat it so try to cut several sizes and see what works best for your area if i am fishing for big fish i like a piece of cut about the size of my hand smaller fish i will just take a small shad about 2 to 3 inches and cut the head and tail off leaving the gut pocket open on both ends

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Eric Good question Sir. I use alot of bluegill and I cut the heads off below the gills and put my hook through both eyes leaving the hook point exposed. and I also use the filets of the bluegill but I scale the fish first leaving the skin on then I take a filet off both sides and weve the filet on a #3 0 Kalie hook and it works good. I have cought the larger catfish on the heads of the bluegill, but when i first get to the water I bait one rod with a head and the other with a filet to see which they prefer that day. hope this helps. And also Welcome to the BOC glad to have You on board. J.D.

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If your after the smaller cats cut the perch into 1" wide fillets. For the bigger fish I cut the perch in half and put the head on a hook and the tail on another rod. I like my perch about 4-6". Hope this helps

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i sometimes cut off their heads behind the gill plates , or start there and leave the gut pockets attatched , you can also use the gut pocket seperate , or the fellettes , or butterfly them and remove the spine , or steak them out .

Attached Files: