Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time of the year, water is around 80deg here in lower Alabama. Water is staying relatively high with heavy current. Is it crazy to think that blues would be hanging out on bars in 5’-10’ of water to avoid the faster current? Last weekend I fished between 25’-40’ and never caught the first blue. Is the water to warm for them to hang in the shallows? I’ve caught them in 3’ deep water in the winter down here but never fish shallow in the summer. How shallow would you fish in 80deg water this time of the year if it was high?

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,262 Posts
Theres a thermocline in my home lake. Forces the fish to live in 25' or less. Some of the creeks are slam full of bait. Been catching a few cats in 5' to 25' of water. Water temp was 84.

If theres lots of current though. You would think they would be on deeper structure during the day.

Maybe you should try the shallows early or late in the day.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Blues get super shallow when feeling. If the bait is there they will chase them. They are schoolers too! I’ve caught them schooling like bass on crank baits. During the winter months I catch lots on spoons. I would say most of my blues come in less than 15’ of water. I know they get deep too but not always.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know all of y’all are right. I’ve just got to get it through my head that the fish are in shallow water in the summer months too. I’m gonna stay shallow this weekend whether I’m catching fish or not.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Maybe before you go totally shallow try some areas that have a little bit of everything maybe anchor in 20-25'. Cast baits in deeper water, the 20s, the teens and some under 10'. Ya never know. However we're getting into the summer-fall transition so like others said they're probably out chasing baitfish, stacking on pounds before winter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I went out today and spent several hours side scanning and down scanning areas. Looked over a huge flat that the river runs the river runs through. The flat is 15 to 18’ deep and the river bed is 25 to 30. The thermacline was at 17’. Tons of bait and fish above that. Didn’t see any below., I spent all that time marking bends and trees. Getting ready for fall and winter. Added about 30 more way points to the graph. I found a super hard clay or bed pan shelf. Fish were loaded on it, probably bass but it looked awesome. I didn’t bring any rods. It makes me keep looking and marking spots. I’m going to say the fish are still 10 to 15’ deep. Bait is 5 to 15’.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts