How shallow is to shallow for flatheads?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kat king, Jul 17, 2008.

1. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have found what look to be some good fishing spots for flathead but how shallow is to shallow to fish for some nice flahead?:confused2:

2. clintpd

clintpd New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    2-5 feet is the depth that I have had the most success in. Late at night, they feed 1-3 feet from the bank. I haven't had much luck fishing out in open water.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you for the most part....most of my good ones have come from shallow water close to the bank at night. However in the mid to late summer when the water heats up....I think maybe a little deeper water might be the answer.:wink:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    At night those Flatheads are going to move to shallow water to get the bait fish. I would say depth would be limited by the size of fish. I have seen them far enough up that you could see their backs, easiy in less than 1 foot of water. Again, it would be dictated by the size of fish

5. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks everyone who has replied in this post:smile2: i am fishing tommarow night its on the little ark in medora ks its the biggest jam in the 6-8 mile stretch.:wink:..to see a pic of the jam go to kansas rivers talk and its in the arkansas river post last page its a monster log jam..:cool2:

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'll add some more to the question. What if the water level fluctuates alot every day and some days that spot only has a few inches of water... Will a large flathead go there on the nights that it does have water?

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree i have seen their backs out too, entering a backwater area.

Chris, yes they will, especially if its been low a while.

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    they will feed in the shallows
    but i target them on the way out early befor 11pm i will fish as close as i can to the log jams

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree, big flatheads roam the banks, and i have seen in water that there dorsel fins are out of thhe water! they will feed shallow, the key is....BAITFISH!:wink: rollo

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Tonight I went there about 2:30 AM and there wasn't enough water lol.

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I agree with most everyone else on this post.About the only way to fish to shallow is to not put your bait in the water.Big flats feed shallow because thats where most of their forage fish live,perch,etc.I fish in water that may be 50 ft. deep but my bobber is set from 1-2 ft. deep and I fish as close to the bank as possible.If I'm fishing shallow water areas near rocks it's still the same,bobber 1-2 ft. deep. Allen

12. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i like fishing in shallow water for the reasons already coverd but my favorite big cat place is a low level dam there are always big flatheads there

13. tunnafish

tunnafish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do you fish above, or below the dam? We call them "low-head" dams on the small and medium sized waterways in central Ohio. There are a ton of them here in Columbus, Ohio. In fact, they're talking of removing many of them to allow the creeks to resume their more natural channels. Plus. they're considered "drowning machines". Several people drown yearly in the undertow below the dams, especially during spring, high-water. The water is rarely over one's head, but it's impossible to stand up and they're caught in a tumbling "washing machine" effect! Anyway, I'm anxious to get into flatheading and would like to give the dams a try, with safety in mind, of course.

14. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I always fish below dams because the flatheads sit underneith waiting for baitfish to go over it and fall right at there doorstep

15. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i also say size of the fish will dictate that i fish as close as possible to shallow log jams and stumps

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    IN spring , summer and fall you will catch lots and big flats in shallow water 1 to 3 ft when younger as a kid watched neighbors pull them out of the banks nesting in this kind of shallow water

I caught my biggest 3 in less then 10 foot

82lbs, 61 lbs and a 60 ish

and many in around 2 to 5 foot

winter time different story 90 % deep water and very few bites, they hardly feed in dead of winter but some will . but i dont have the patients to target them in that kind of conditions .

i hit the power plant lakes then that have warm water discharges in winter.

17. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Don't count out deep holes and channels, I have caught quite a few big flats in these areas to include this 47 pound flattie at about 10:30 at night in the main river channel. my guess is that it was coming out of the channel to head into the shallows to feed when I caught it. For the most part though, I would have to agree the only way the water is too shallow is if the fish can't have at least half of his body under the surface. They are sure fun to watch when they get in that shallow!

Attached Files:

18. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I agree with Scott on the cold weather. I never even fish for Flats in the winter. The blues and channels are much more active and easier to catch.I like to fish for channels on warm winter days in about 2-4 ft. of water . They come up on sand bars that are on a north bank and are easy to catch using about any kind of stink bait.Blues are usually a little slower but can still be caught. I drift or jug for them about 20 ft. deep using chicken gizzards, large shinners or shad.