How safe is it to camp on the Mississippi at night?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by MoDamselfly, Aug 8, 2009.

1. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Girls coming home this weekend and was wondering if anyone has ever camped on one of the sandy beaches over night and how safe it is? Is there anywhere in particular that is nicer / cleaner? Thinking about just bringing a tent and light gear and fishing and camping a couple days.

Thoughts? Ideas? Hazzards or warnings? :smile2:

2. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ive never had a problem camping on them. Some had nice swimming areas and a place where you can put your boat and not be swamped by barge wake. I usually check out a sand bar before I camp it to make sure theres no hidden dangers such as submerged log and such. And make sure theres enough water to make it to the bank without running aground.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

3. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    We would probably be south of meramec if we do try it. I'd hate to get out boat beached...lol :embarassed:

4. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Debbi, I can't attest to the area of the river that your talking about. I've done it and I see other people doing it up here all the time. It's not uncommon for me to see tents set up on allot of sand bars up here on the weekends. Hazards, just keep your tent far enough up on the bar to avoid bigs wave, if your tent uses stakes make sure they are "long" because they won't hold well in the sand if it's windy. I've never heard of a intruder problem up here, but I do and I think you should have a Firearm along with you.

5. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would take Andys advice on the firearm even though chances are slim that you would need it. The only thing I would add is if the river is dropping and the sand bar has a shallow slope to it make sure you don't drag the boat up too far when you beach it for the night and find yourself grounded in the morning.:crazy: I don't know about down your way but up here the river is about as clear and clean as it gets right now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Gone fishing never leave home without the fire arm. As others have said it's probably pretty safe altho precautions are always advised. Good luck fishing!

7. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Ummmm we dont own a firearm...:smile2: A couple baseball bats , swords, and battelaxwes but no firearms...lol:tounge_out: Yeah Pipe thats what worries me is waking up and being beached! Or waking up and boat be gone :crazy: That would be bad. :sad2:

8. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Pool 25 is really getting pretty right now, current is down and the is as clear as it gets. Your right about the sand bar I'd forgotten about that one. what I have done in the past is to anchor the rear of the boat out a ways from the bank wade in and tie a bow rope to a stake on the bank.

9. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    We may have to try out up your way in the pools. Mikes been up there but I havent yet. :roll_eyes:

10. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Baseball bat, sword,or battle axe might do....but nothing will put the fear of God in someone like the sound of a 12ga pump.:wink:

11. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Would love to have you up here! I'd be happy to give you and the hubby a guided tour.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You could do like me and Brandon (BKS72) and sleep in the boat:smile2: Sorta leaves a crick in you neck after settin up-right in a lawn chair all nite, but if they decide to bite, your there and ready.:wink: I never worried to much about the bad guys, but usually pack a gun too. Pepper spray will deter most hoodlums though. Good shot of pepper up the ole snozh and a couple wacks behind the ear with a boat paddle outta do the trick.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    John, wasn't aware you an Brandon were sle............does Cher know?

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Debbi, one thing you might consider, Illinois gives landowners the rights well into the river. IF they choose, they could make you pack up & leave should you camp on the IL side. Doesn't happen often, but they do have the right.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well Mark were looking at next weekend and with the river is down here it'll probably be somewhere up that ways. So, I'll be in touch as for as sleeping in the boat me and Deb have done that before, but we'll have the kids with us. Not hardly enough room for us in the boat , much less to sleep in it.

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll have to say sleepin with Brandon,,,ya best nod off first.:wink: The guy sounds like a pair of boar coons fightin when he snores.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Great guy and i wouldn't trade our pretty crumby trip for some of the better i been on. It's all about enjoyin yourself regardless of who your with or where your at. I win the lotto i'm comin to the east side and will hunt each and every one of you folks down. Then i pester the p-waddlin p out of ya till ya take me fishin.:smile2:

17. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's for sure; just the sound of jacking one into the chamber is enough to make your hair stand on end!!:wink:

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I take it y'all don't have gators on that part of the river, huh? I know here on the Red River, there are plenty of gators, but people still camp on the sandbars; even bringing along their small dogs & let them run up & down the bank! Not Me!!! I've seen enough gators while in the boat; I'm not giving them a chance on the land!
    You girls be careful, & have a great time!

19. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    u want to know whats scarier than a 12 gauge pump the warning shot into the air:crazy:

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You don't need to win no lottery, just bring yourself on over here an we would be proud to take you out on the river.