How`s the bite on the Ohio River - Perry, Spencer County area

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by troythebigcathunter, Jan 9, 2007.

1. troythebigcathunter

troythebigcathunter New Member

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    Hello to my fellow fisherman,and ladies,Im just wondering if everybody is having the same amount of luck that im having,That would be none at all,I started at the dam on the indiana side,Bottem side,Showing 5 blocks open so water is up,Didn`t catch anything,Not even a bite,Next day,Moved down past the park in tell city(bout a mile past)Think it is called sunset,Cast out,Nothing,At this point im just fishing for anything,I would have been happy with a big stick as long as my clicker went off,But nothing.All of my fishing has been done between Jan 6-9 (3 days in a row,nothing),Which is today and i just got back with a few nibbles but no fish,Im using bluegill for bait,Off the bank,6 poles in the water,Ive been putting 3 poles out around the channel,3 closer in about 25-30 foot out,Nothing,Im needing help from the better fisherman on here for times,location,bait selection,Any info will help a great deal,Thanks to all B.O.C.In advance

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't have much winter fishing experience myself or any experience on the Ohio at that, but you might want to try cut bait. I'm assuming your using live bluegills, so you might want to try using some freshly cut bluegill instead. The fish might not be as active and might be taking a more stationary bait and something that is letting some blood/sent out in the current.

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Look for any type of current break and/or holes that you can find. This time of year, that is where they are. I would also try some cut shad too...but like Rick said, cut bluegills might be the key. You want bloody and fresh this time of year.

4. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    can you get to the otherside at the Weyerhauuser plant? just below the dam if they are bitting it'll be there,good luck. i've never had any luck at Troy ramp ether.

5. troythebigcathunter

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    Thank`s to the brotherhood to help out in a time of almost breaking fishing poles,Hey whiskers,I have seen people fishing there before,But personally,I have no idea of how to get there,The wife and i drove out that way this morning looking at water condition,Etc,And scott, I saw those breaks in the water like you were talking about,It looked as if the water was just really smooth in a big patch while the water around it was just going goofy,And rick you are right,The cold water temps right now,As you put it,Are right on with my bait,I stopped this morning while wife was in car,:big_smile: Got just one pole outta the car,Put a bluegill on it,And just put it at the edge of the water,That bluegill was as still as a scared deer,I mean it looked like it was spawning,So im gonna start using some cut bluegill and cut shad,Im still convinced that there are some big fish out there wanting to be held up by me while the wife takes a pic and then release it,Im gonna go again,Try the new advice and see what happens,Thx alot brothers

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    cross the bridge at Hawesville go on up the hill, turn left at 4 lane, passin Bill's on the hill, go on out of town a few miles till you see the Weyerhauser plant on your left, turn in there go almost to the gaurd shack but bear left you'll cross the RR tracks n bear left,you'l turn right on a little gravel road, lotta potholes the last time i was there, go straight till it dead ends go left, you'll end up at the edge of the dam. CAUTION! lock your truck up good mine got cleaned out the last time i was there!you cant see it from where you'l fish. good luck!, the water level is high almost 30ft this am.

7. troythebigcathunter

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    Im going this afternoon,Will be there at about 3:00,Thx for the directions my friend,Also thx for the heads up on the bandits in the area

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    looks like I am going out friday for a while. The river is up but we are gonna try, i'll let u know how we do.

9. troythebigcathunter

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    well i went yesterday,water is really tough right now,6 ounce sinker just to hit the bottem,only took 4 poles with me,caught one little blue about 2 pounds i guess,didn`t stay very long,maybe an hour or 2,wrong clothing,time to pull out the coveralls,a thousand snags,50 pound test line broken from trees the size of buicks,all in all,a horrible trip,water is still rising,before going to the ky side,drove by the locks to check water level,4 blocks open downstream with 2 open upstream,potholes are still there whiskers,but with 37 inch tires on the 4x4,they were kinda fun,considering the fishing trip,im thinking of doing some lake fishing now,lol

10. troythebigcathunter

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    I hope you have better luck than me skimax

11. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sorry your trip wasen't as productive as anticipated Troy, but atleast you didn't leave empty handed, that 2lb blue is sounding nice to me right now lol.

12. troythebigcathunter

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    Sounds as if your having about the same amount of luck as me,Water level on the ohio is outta control right now,Hope it calms down soon,If not im gonna have to start hitting the lakes

13. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I wish I had the chance to even try my luck yet this year. I haven't hit the water since late December. I was planning on going Monday down to anyone of my usual spots on the White River, but with all the rain we've been getting, most of them are under water and the others right about now are probably like mud bogs and sitting out in the freezing rain in a pile of mud just dosen't sound like fun right now haha. Seems like every good day to get out and fish for me is when I have school or work:crazy: . Can't wait for March to role around. Good luck if you head back out soon.

14. troythebigcathunter

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    Thx bro,The weather is just not being very nice right now,We are swamped here with water,Im thinking of just putting my poles in the garage and just sitting on the porch waiting for a big blue just to swim up to my feet,LOL