How Pretty/Ugly Are Your Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by stumpjumper, Oct 7, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Personally, I think Flatheads are one of the coolest/prettiest looking fish! I show pictures to some folks who think just the opposite, dang bass fisherman :smile2:. I know that there have been discussions on Flathead coloration before, but I could not resist posting a picture of the prettiest one I have seen. I have caught Flats that range drastically in coloration. From the olive-colored Flats in MI to the mustard yellow cats I used to catch in the Wabash. Regardless, I have never seen such color distinction as I have from some of these recent catches in TN. The mighty Appaloosa Cat!

What do the Flatheads look like where you fish?

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, the Appaloosa title fits them to a T.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Looks like that thing was gnawing on your hand, Bill?

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think they are pretty.:smile2: I have always been fascinated by the different colors of flatheads. I have caught some weird ones. I caught these all the same day in one spot during the last flood we had. Does anyone know why their colors vary so much? Is it the water clarity or the structure they live in?

Attached Files:

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Good question. I know the one I posted was caught out of relatively clear water when compared to other places I have caught them.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    ive heard they lay in the silt on the bottom of the lake staining them different colors .

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Looks like that thing was gnawing on your hand, Bill?>

LOL! but it was a good gnaw!!

<
    ive heard they lay in the silt on the bottom of the lake staining them different colors .>

I doubt that. I just don't think that is possible. I think that their color variation is just nature's way of camouflage, and it varies according to the color of the water they habitat.

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've notice alot of different colored flats. Me and another BOC member (Tbull)were out on the ohio river fishing last winter when he caught a small flat that was Bright orangish yellow color. Not sure if i still have a pic i will try to find it and post.

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I think you're right stump. I've put this photo on here before but some may not have seen it.

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Here's a couple purty yellow ones some buddys caught.

11. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, Paul, that one is crazy. That is just straight up ORANGE! Do you know where it was caught?

12. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Yeah, she was fishing with me up the Chattahoochee.

13. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I think its a combination of things.
    Water temp.
    Chemical makeup of the water (high iron etc.)
    Genetics

14. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    A lot of different animals have the ability to take on the coloration of their surroundings. Albino animals usually dont live very long just because of the fact that predators and prey can see them easier. Seems like the deeper I catch fish, the lighter they are and vice versa.

15. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I agree. Most fish that i catch shallow have a darker color, while the fish that i catch deep or in muddy water are usually a lighter color. There are a few exceptions but most seem to work out that way.

16. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This one has beautiful mottling on it.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL164/2041487/17331199/337060877.jpg

I think this is the most beautiful i one i have ever caught.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL164/2041487/17331199/283379184.jpg

Muddy water fish

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL164/2041487/17331199/269030205.jpg

Variety flats

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL164/2041487/17331199/269027136.jpg

Flatheads are beautiful and awesome fish. I couldn't imagine fishing for anythingelse but bait and Flatheads.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I caught a solid black flathead about 9-10yrs back, pretty fish...Pic is in my images page 2 # 293-77

I've caught a few that look like that one you have there,with the specks and so many others of different color configurations and I agree with you 100&#37;. Just looking at the flathead,you can tell hes in a world of his own, sleek, broad, solid muscle and mean as a junk yard dog,by the way they attack prey almost as big as themselves tells me they just do not care what is in their way.
    Their eyes are not on top of their head as some think .if you look at them,they are looking out to the side with a I'm going to get Ya look, LOL.., its just the shape of the wide head that gives that illusion.. I can keep on & on talking about this fish that is # 1 in my book. All I can say is :cool2: Beautiful fish..

18. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I love them people say o mthere are just scum suckers and flatheads really brake that mold as we all know if anything is ugly it is a saltwater fish.

19. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Did you get that really white one at lake gaston i hear the blues in there are like that other wise i think it is a albino.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    REALLY nice shots by all, thus far!

<I couldn't imagine fishing for anythingelse but bait and Flatheads.>

While flatheads are my NUMBER ONE choice to catch, there's nothing like the hit of a blue trying to tear your rod holder from the boat!

Bill in SC