How Old?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by deadly_legend, Sep 21, 2008.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well, I am 16 and I have been thinking about hunting, i havnt taken the safety course though, would you say id be one of the oldest in the class? or what? im thinking im going to take it next year and start hunting next year, that way i can save up for a rifle and shotgun, and maybe even a bow. But i would like some thoughts on if i should, and what types of things i should do/ get if i do start hunting.

thank you

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    By all means take the hunter safety class. I took it when i was in my 30's, so don't worry about the age thing. My suggestion if i could only have 1 gun, would be a shotgun. You can hunt more species with it. Read the regs. in your state and area and abide by the laws. Go at it with the mind set it's a learning experience and not a competition. You'll make mistakes the same as everyone does, but the most important thing is realizing what you did wrong, and learn from it. Enjoyment is the most important thing, get in the woods and you'll be amazed at what nature has to offer. Good luck

3. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    lol last time i shot a gun was in 4th grade, and it was my dads 12 gauge, i fell down haha, but i like shotguns, but i also love archery, but thank you for the input :) it really helped :smile2:

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think i was eleven when i took my hunter safety coarse and was the youngest one there. As far as the gun /bow choices, I too say shotgun i personally would buy a remington 870 express combo with both bird barrel and rifled deer barrel. The bow question I started cheap with handme down browning 3d bow with high country cams just to get started. The bow was red and black but i killed my first two deer with it. I hunted one season and about a month before i saved up the money and bought a mathews. I did this just to make sure i really would enjoy archery.

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Do you know someone who hunts who will take you out to observe? I'd ask around. There are lots of people who would love to introduce people to the hunting world. Someone who you can go to with questions and guide you in the purchase of your new bow or shotgun.

I used to help teach hunter's ed here in Iowa. We always had older folks in the classes. They had to get their hunter's ed card to hunt different states.

I bought my first bow at a sports shop. It was used but I didn't know if I would like archery. I bought the bow, 6 arrows and a release for 175 bucks. It wasn't the fastest bow at that time but it got me in the timber and at the range.

I WISH I would of started bowhunting at the age of 16! Good luck to you!

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I also agree with a Remington 870 express combo. Use the bird barrel for turkey, upland game or anything for that matter and use the slug barrel for deer. I've heard of people shooting thight groups out to 150 yards with a rifled slug gun.

you will hear allot of talk about what bow is better. Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtec, PSE...the list goes on and on. I shoot a Hoyt. I shot every Hoyt and Mathews bow that was in the pro shop. The Hoyt shot better for me and fit like a glove. Had the Mathews shot that well for me I would of bought it. Reguardless if you are buying new or used shoot every bow in the shop and find the one that fits you.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Josh! First of all welcome to the BOC! We're here to help. Definently get enrolled into a HUNTERS SAFETY COURSE! Age is not a factor and it's fun. I went like 4 years straight. Guess I liked it alot. Beats regular classes. LOL. Anyhow choosing a weapon is up to the individual. I love to bowhunt and have been doing so for 10 years or so. I still like the shotgun for upland birds like pheasants and quail. I own a couple of rifles too. Getting started in hunting is awesome, age is no factor as long you have proper supervision with you. If you know someone that has hunting land, by all means ask them if you can hunt it. Take rejection with a grain of salt. Some landowners are to cautious about letting hunters on their land, but others will let you hunt for sure. Respect that and listen to what they have to say. Respect them and don't trash the area. Bowhunters have it easier than rifle hunters for that fact arrows travel less than bullets. Make your decision on what you want to hunt with and good luck to ya.

any questions? type away!!

MARK..

8. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Absolutely get inrolled in a class next year. Like those guys said before, you wont know if you like it till you try it. A shotgun would most likely be a better pick for ya too. Like Phil said, shoot everybow you can find to see which one you like best. Dont pick something just because it is cheap, you will regret it later.

Good Luck

9. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well, there is mainly one thing im worried about in doing all this, its the price of everything, the guns, ammo, arrows, bow, tree stand, and things like that, what is the average you spend on hunting? and how much is the saftey course? and i REALLY appreciate all your alls help and input, thank you very much

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Hunter Education is free in Iowa. Not sure about Indiana.

You can buy a used bow pretty reasonable. People trade every year to get the fastest bow on the market. If I were you I would save up some money. While your saving go to the pro shops and shoot their used bows. Then go home and research the bows you shot and find out the pros and cons of each one. Make sure you check over the limbs and look for cracks. Check out the string and cables looking for worn places around the cam and wheel. When you have your money saved up and find a good used one that fits you go in and offer them cash. Tell them you would only have enough left to buy a half a dozen arrows. Most used bows will have things like sights, peeps and arrowrest left on them. Don't be afraid to ask questions...make the salesmen work for their sale. They should treat you the same as the guy buying a 750 dollar Bowtec, if the truely love the archery sport.

Keep those questions coming brother! Arm yourself with info and then you will be able to tell if the salesman is telling you the truth or blowing smoke up your a$$.

I buy all my extra gear like scent killer spray and laundry detergent at Wal-mart in January when they mark it way down. It's nothing to buy a 11 dollar bottle of scent killer for 3 to 5 bucks in January. They want it out of there. I've bought treestands and blinds for 50% off that way.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Josh , its a lifelong addiction. I got my HE card when I was 10 and got my first shotgun that X-mas and have shot a lot of birds with it. Got a .22 rifle the next year for small game and plinking. 33 years later I just bought my first bow last week. Thats not to mention all the fishing gear I have. :cool2:

12. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well, if its a life long addiction im fine with it, it sounds really fun, and my dad always enjoys himself when he goes, and he complains that since he started taking me fishing when i was little i have gotten better than him lol, but, im going to be getting a job soon, since its my junior year and i still have yet to get a job, and then i will be able to start saving money for hunting supplies, and some more fishing supplies. and wal-mart is your friend, except for the lines haha.

i also have another question, what is the advantage to using a bow, and disadvatages, and same for a shotgun and rifle.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Josh,Welcome,By all means take the Hunters ed class. Here you cant hunt unless you have it or are over the age of 18. free here as well Whether you choose bow,muzzle loader or rifle is all a personal preference. I cant stress enough about practicing tho. Thats what seperates the real shooters from the would be's. Shoot all you can every chance you get. Become as good as you can be ,the rest will be easy . If you have a buddy that will let ya tag along ,that will help ya learn too.

14. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have several friends that hunt, so im sure they wouldnt mind if i tagged along if i asked. AND! I just found an online hunter safety course online and i can go as slow or fast as i like, and then i just pay $15 for the test. (http://www.hunter-ed.com/in/index.htm) (<-- thats the site) and i think i will do that, since it would be easier imo.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Go for it Josh. Yopu won't be the oldest and besides who cares. Been thru it 3 times with different grandkids.

16. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well as of right now i am studing up on it and im going to keep reading the material till i feel i can pass the test. i will be taking the test online for $15. My dad told me last night that if i completed the class, he would buy my a shotgun when he returns from Honduras, which i thought was really nice of him.

17. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    SWEET!!!! Good luck brother!

18. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
  19. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    i'm almost 25 and i still have yet to take my hunter safety course. and if that isn't bad enough my wife has already been through it and goes deer hunting every year and gives me grief about how to fire shotguns' and how to properly field dress a deer; so my suggestion to you would be to take that class as soon as possible, or at least before you get married and your wife gives you grief too. lol

20. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Bud, you have yourself a keeper there!!!!!