how old was the catfish I caught

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flat and happy, Oct 14, 2005.

1. flat and happy

flat and happy New Member

State:
    Little Sioux, Iowa
    Caught a 64 pound male flathead yesterday, does anyone know how old a fish that size is, and yes he is still swimming.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Just curious, how do you know it was a male?

3. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Growth rates can vary by many factors. I would GUESS somewhere around 15-20, but again, that's just a guess. Male vs. female is most easily determined by the shape of the head. Head wider than shoulders equals male, head same width as shoulders equals female.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Congratulations on the great catch, Brother!!!

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    flat and happy;

Their is no way to get an accurate age of a catfish withoug killing it. Which to me really wouldn't be worth it for one little number.. You also have to remeber that different area and body water would be different. Like up here in PA a 5yr old cat might be 3lbs but a 5yr old down south might be 15lbs see where I am going.(I have no idea how much a 5yr old cat would weight so, don't base it off that or anything)

:rock-big:

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hey congrats on fish. I caught a forty pounder here in PA and they told me it was probally around 20 years old

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we have a member that is a fish biologist for indiana that i fish with. i gave him some samples to determan age when i get results ill post them or he will. i know this will only pertain to my river but its an idea. other parts of country would be different like gone fishin 4 kittys said. to get age he said you take a peck fin and look at it under a microscope.

8. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    flat and happy,
    we would love to see a picture of him?