How old is this motor?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by graybeard, May 10, 2007.

1. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm looking at an older Monark jon with a Johnson motor on it. Motor is newer than the boat. The serial # is E4851083. I assumed this meant it was probably a 1983 model, but the guy who owns it is sure it was an 87 or 88. Anyone know for sure? He bought it from the original owner who was paralyzed in an accident a few months after he bought it, and has only run it maybe a half dozen times since he has owned it. He replaced the impeller a couple years ago, I took my muffs down and tried it today, it popped on the first pull, started on the second and ran like a champ.After it warmed up a bit, I stopped and started it a few times, and it always started with a half pull. Anything I need to watch out for? I'm not gonna commit till I can run it on the water, but it looks good so far. It's a 15 horse, by the way. Also, I assume it is a 50:1 gas/oil mix, is that correct? Thanks for the help.

2. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    check it in water, not muffs. make sure the impeller is working.
    50:1 is good.

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Look thru the threads, there's a link. enter you vin and it will tell you about the motor.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

With a Johnson, or Evinrude, you need the MODEL number, not the serial number, to tell the age of the motor. You need the SERIAL numbers for Mercury and Yamaha engines to tell THEIR ages. That's right isn't it Bob?

5. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Model # is 15R780. From what I've found so far, I think maybe it's a 1978. Regardless, it's in mint condition.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That should be a 1978 and if it was a newer model then 79 then the numbers would be replaced with letters. Good little motors.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Catgirl you be pretty smart there.:big_smile:

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hey Bubba, now we've got the sisterhood invading the threads. Well at least she's prettier, and It was the right answer, not a guess.

Tanya, I see you've been doing a little reading of prior posts. Keep it up and I'll have you rebuilding carbs in no time. :big_smile:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the compliments fellas :smile2:.

BTW Bob, when's class? I wouldn't wanna be tardy :big_smile:.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I think I'll just leave this thread alone for now:wink: