How often to change water pump?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Aug 26, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How often should a person replace the water pump? I have had my boat 4 years now and never put a water pump on it. One guy i talked to said change it when it stops working. He said it has a sensor that will shut the motor off before it runs it hot enough to hurt anything. How often should they be changed?

2. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    If you have an I/O as I do, change the impeller every 2 years weather it needs it or not. I learned the hard way. Lucky my boat didn't get too hot.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

Oh yeah, it's got a sensor all right that'll shut it done. Called a "BLOWN" engine.

The guy that told you that, is he a backwoods inbread fool or what? Nobody I know will agree to that statement he made.

In a saltwater environment, we recommend a yearly change, and not to exceed 2 years. In freash water and no sand from running shallows, you can exceed that, but not by much.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I was wondering the same thing Paul or maybe a salsemen at a dealer lol.
    I change my impeller every year period I change the pump its self every 2 years I figure 40 bucks every other year for a impellor is a lot cheaper then 25k for a new motor and the pump runs me around 100 real cheap insurance I also change my lower unit oil twice a year.

5. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Who in the hell is selling you motors for 25 thousand dollars?!?!

I change my impeller every year and water pump kit every other year. The whole idea is to change it before it's necessary.

6. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    price the verado 275 its 21k then with tax setup its at the 25k mark. I dont have a use for anything smaller.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Change My Impeller & Thermostat @ The Same Time, Once A Year. I Also Change My Lower Unit Oil Each Time I Change Engine Oil, Every 100 Hrs.

It Might Seem Like Overkill But Heck I'm A Mechanic, I Don't Want To Fix The Boat, I Want To Fish:wink: :smile2:

8. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  9. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
  10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's as complete as Sierra makes it for that year. Everything but the pump housing.

Get it and do it.

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When i drop the lower unit isnt there a seal that seals the lower unit to the motor? or is that kit all i need to replace water pump.

13. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    That kit will be all you need.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's just a drive shaft seal at the power head and under the water pump. You won't have to mess with either one of them.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tell your former "advisor" goodbye.The new motors have lots of sensors on them that will keep you from totally destroying a motor "hopefully" but it doesn't take much operation with no cooling water to fry an engine.Conventional wisdom that I have read recommends every two years UNLESS you operate in particularly sandy,muddy situations.There is a very good article in the latest Trailer Boats magazine about maintaining 4 cylces but much of it also pertain to 2 cycles also.Just remember it is called PREVENTATIVE MAINT.Would you run your car and not change oil until the warning light came on?:crazy: :big_smile: :smile2:

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, I do, I only change the oil when the oil change warning light comes on... and that's around ever 8000 miles. :big_smile: :big_smile:
    Sorry, just couldn't pass that one up.

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Warning!!! Never buy anything mechanical from Olefin.

18. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well engine oil if different it breaks down after so many miles. How many of you change your water pump on you car because it might go bad? You dont you just wait for it to go bad then change it. :lol: But i do understand what you are saying and with the sand and stuff that gets in there I'm sure every 2 years it would be a good idea to put a new one on there.

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Automotive water pumps don't have rubber impellors, and don't take the abuse of outboard pumps.

20. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow, you guys are sure breaking my bubble. I had a Mariner for 10 years and only replaced the plugs a few times never the pump. I now have a new Mec. 115 4 cycle and I figured I would never have to touch it in my life time except for the oil. Every two years for a pump:smile2: ?