How often should you retie?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Feb 22, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 20 lb Berkley Big Cat line and I tie the mainline on and then I tie the leader and then the hook. So there is 3 knots in the rig I use alot with the slip floater. How often do you retie if you are catching cats? I use a palomar and improved clinch knot and usually fish during the evening and when it gets dark I get big baits out for Flatheads.

2. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I check all knots before every cast. If I'm changing bait or fresh bait the hook get sharpened as well.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I check after each fish but mainly retie if I notice any nicks or scratches to the leader or main line.;)

4. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    it really depends for me whether or not i have been catching stuff. if i have been catchin a good amount of fish and they have been terrin up that bait i will probably retie hmm maybe about every three fish or so. but other people may have other methods :D

:0a26:

5. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I try to keep my knots to the absolute minimum " I will only tie one if I can get away with it". For every knot you tie you are at greater risk for a break off. I use Spider wire stealth on all my BIG unit 50LB test. And I retie after every big fish or after every trip. Hope this helps.

6. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If you notice any nicks in your line you should retie.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Man, I check my lines ever so often. At least every trip. I will normally retie my leaders every trip. Just use common sense and keep an eye on your lines. If you get snagged and or are fishing in rocky areas, check your line more often. Don't let that big cat get away because of human error.

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm with Slimcat,
    You should be checking your line every time you bait up. IF it even looks questionable replace it. You will never let your self down if one of your knots fail. and you will always be wondering if your line breaks.
    take the time!
    thanks
    Larry

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    How often you check your = how often you want to land fish. Often.
    You can get away with checking every few casts if you fish open water, but if you're fishing heavy cover, check very often. I have lost too many fish to frayed line to not check.

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    The way it goes with me is I retie when my hook and sinker fly into the water :rolleyes: The cats that I fish with are tough on the line, and they do it quick too. But if I am fishing, I normally retie if there are any nicks and/or abrasions in any part of the line. I cut it off above the abrated piece, and then retie from there. I always keep a spool of the fishing line that I am using with me so that I can tie leaders from fresh line, and not line that has been exposed to UV rays.

:0a26:

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ill check my line after any heavy strain , such as a snag or a decent fish , then retie them if needed