How often should you check a trotline?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rajun_Cajun, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i have always wondered how often you should check your trotline.

2. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    well i think most states say you MUST check it atleast every 24 hours, however i would check it as often as you can every 4 or 5 hours if you can.

3. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    The first day I will set mine before dark and bait up. I wont check it the first time until daybreak. I will then run it at noon, just befoe dark, and again at midnight. I will run it a little more often during the summer months or if the bass fishermen are on the water ( they have a nasty little habit of cutting lines around here). I will catch all I want in a decent weekend with just 1 50 hook line. Catman is right, most state you do have to run it at least every 24 hours.

4. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    If it was mine about every 2 to 4 hours depending on how strong the bite is.
    Loop

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I'm with Bulldaddy on this one.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Here in Kansas the absolute LIMIT is 24 hours, and you have to have your name and address on a tag attached to the trotline, lest you want to get a nice little ticket for not doing so. I think that we will probably check them every 2 to 4 hours like loop said come summertime. At least if its not night time. Chances are we will probably set them out before dark, and check in the morning.

:0a26:

7. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep,I'm with BullDaddy on this one too.I usually set mine about sundown and then check it about every 5-6 hours afterwards.I bait up as needed when I check it.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I check mine about every 4-5 hours also. But I fish a few hundred yards away. I put reflective tape on mine, so I can hit it with a flashlight every 4-5 hours for moving jugs.

9. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    When my Daddy and Uncle ran nets and trotlines commercial fishing during the 50's & early 60's they checked every 4 hrs without fail, day or night. Said any longer they would loose fish due to death & wearing holes in their mouth and slip the hook. They would not bring in dead fish to sell for any reason, & if it died then it became cut bait itself. And after watching & helping them for years I have to agree on the time span.

Frank

10. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I usually use limblines. I usually will get them baited before dark. I try to get to them every 2 hours. Usually by the time I get to the end it is time to start over. A line with no bait or a nice cat won't catch anything! Keep them active!

11. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I agree with catman872! At least every 4 hours. You'll catch more if you check it every 2 but I wouldn't wait much past 4 hours.

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah I'm w/ you guys you should check them ever 2 hours.

13. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I like to set one on the ohio when am out all night and I check it every 4 or so hours even if I just do a drive by to see if the jugs are moveing.Last year had a heck of a time pulling a jug up had a head a foot and a half wide come up and spit out a three pound channel cat.