How often does a flathead catfish eat?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Jun 4, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I heard alot of different things but one that I heard That sounds like its true is that big flatheads eat about once every five days but when they do eat they pig out big time. But weather thats true i dont know, what do you think?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I believe that they eat all the time. Except during the spawn, I think that a flathead will eat at least a little bit every day. That is why I assume they pose a danger to some major waterways.

3. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I read the links and only a couple folks mentioned weather. Small flathead (10 lbs. or less) are prey and feed in areas and during times that will avoid large predators. Large flathead are almost completely dependent on the weather (cold/storm fronts) to tell them when to feed. Sometimes an unnatural rise or drop in water level will trigger a feed. Occasionally, an annoying bait placed to close to a resting giant gets eaten. My biggest flathead always come during a storm. This is just my experience ....... during Spring and Fall. Also, I've read several flathead tracking studies and they all either ignore or under-appreciate the significance of weather in a catfishes behavior.

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    when you are the supreme predator, you eat as often as you like!!!

5. TastyWhisker

TastyWhisker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's easy. As soon as you put a bluegill in front of his nose.

6. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

At the pond I fish i've seen the same flathead caught four days in a row. We knew it was the same fish because if was the only one with a green tag in it's tail, so i would say if there is food near they will eat it.

7. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i once caught a flattie on a limb line, he was about 7 or 8# and he swallowed the hook so i kept him. and when i cut open his belly to see what hes been eating, the blue gill i used for bait had already been deteriorated to bones, so i would imagine a flathead would have to feed daily, especially during prespawn.

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    about a week ago i caught the same flathead twice first time on live gill snapped me off in snag an hour later hit a white bass and had my snagged hook in mouth with the gill still not digested hanging in his mouth.

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Watch fish in a tank, if there is food they are either pigging out or they are resting. IMO, I think they spend quite a bit of time feeding.

10. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    I once caught a flatty named fatty, he said "I'm hungry - what do you havey", so I gave him a gill and said with a shrill "I eat only big live shaddy" :lol:

Moral=Live bait+Right Spot

11. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Flatties must diet when I'm in the pursuit. I offer a banquet and haven't caught one yet this year.

Peteluck likes this.
  12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It would be hard to tell. Flatheads are predators and don't have to kill to eat.

Josh

13. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    they eat as often as we do i would asume. but mainly at night thats when they feed most.