How often do you rebait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Chief, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i been catcing bluegill out of my pond and using them as cutbait i was wondering how long i should keep a piece on the hook. right now i usually only rebait every hour cause it seems like such a waste of bait if your not catching anything. i know bluegill isnt very oily compared to shad, but its easiest for me to get.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It just depends for me on how much bait I have. If I get a lot then I will rebait pretty frequently, every 30 min or so. Some times longer, if I fishing filets I usually leave them on there because it seems the cats like them softer, but guts, heads, etc. i try to keep fresh and bloody because it seems to work better for me. And obviously I rebait everytime I catch a fish.

3. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I will keep my blue gill on if he's wiggling. Just lift him after 30-60 minutes to make sure he kicking and not in a hole and after he's tiring out change him. Some gils can thump for a long time.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you are using the gills as cutbait this is what a guide friend of mine does.As he baits up he cuts the tail off,and casts out.Next time he checks the bait ,usually after 15 minutes or so, he uses a pair of heavy shears he keeps in a case on his hip and cuts about 1/2 inch ahead of the last cut and recasts.He does this each time he checks which ensures that even though the bait is getting smaller,fresh blood and juices are being put into the water.After he fishes the head he starts over.The shears are like the ones you see with a knife set in the wooden blocks.Seems to work well as he catches a lot of fish for his partys.:) ;) :cool:

5. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I usually leave live bait out for atleast 20 minutes. I like to cut one of the gills fins so when he tries to swim away he only makes circles

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish cut shad alot and change baits appx every 30 minutes.

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I leave it on till the fish bites.

8. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    amen!!! haha. :p

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    now most of the time i leave my bait out there until something bites but if i'm using cut bait i'd say around an hour or so.i guess it would also depend on how fast the current is also.for some reason i never thought of that:)

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    After an hour i'd try another spot.Unless I know for sure fish are present. If they are i would try a different rig 3way swivle or something on another rod. sometimes makes a difference. good luck.

11. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    If using cut shad, skipjack, etc. it should be changed every 30 to 45 minutes or so depending on current and water temps.

While it may seem like a waste of bait, if its no longer putting out the amino acid and other essential things the cats pick up on its pretty useless anyway. Of course if you leave it on long enough even when no longer emitting the AA or blood, luck may kick in and you might catch one.