How often do you lube your reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by blindfly69, Jul 13, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I own abu 6000 and i was just wondering how often they need to be taken apart and lubed??? is it really neccessary?? if it is....could you tell me how its done???

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well NOT ENOUGH for me....

i think there is a thread in the library(I THINK)

umm but in the manual it should tell u where to oil and where to not oil the reel...

i think a few places are the levelwind, and the gears i think

but i thought i seen it somewhere on here where it showed u how to do it.....

but i think its like after every fishing season...

heck i havent lubed mine for like 2 years.... but i need to cause im gettin into fishing WAY more than i was....

but i guess take care of your equipment and they will take care of you :)

Jeff

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i break down my reels at least once a year if not twice really depends on if ive been fishing sandy banks much sand really screws up bait casters. breaking down a 6000 is very simple check out the library theres a how to in there if you take care of ur abu's keep them lubed up they will last for many years.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

once a year for sure and then as needed depending on the fishing I do

5. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    ahhhh, me being chronically LAZY i find it easier to just buy new reels.:big_smile:

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ......if i had the money to do that.....i would do the same thing lol

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    1 time a year every year. I cant begin to tell you the procedure that might be a good article/with pictures sometime. I lube the level wind every time I change the line about 3 times a year. There was a good article somewhere on the net on this subject Ill try and find it. There are some places you can send it for like 15 to 20 bucks.

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i do it once a year unless i get one that feels like it need oil bad

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I just have spinning reels, I lube them once a month whether they need it or not. Just gives me something to do.

10. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use Abu 5500's and 6500's, the reels are always transported with reel covers on them to reduce road dust and such from accumulating on the worm gear. I usually do a complete disassemble, clean, and lubricate 3 times a year. It is relative to how many times I fish, and if I fish in the rain. The day after rain fishing, I pull both sideplates and relube the bearings for sure. Nothing in an Abu is prone to instant rust or corrosion, but if left unmaintained some of the chrome plated parts and the spool bearings are sure to suffer. All of my fishing is from a boat, so there is never any mud or sand on my reels. If you bank fish and encounter sand, I would disassemble and clean a lot more often.
    Replace spool bearings and drag washers annually.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd say they get pretty dusty and dirty riding around in the trunk all the time.:big_smile: Ya need to go fishing Tea!!!

There is some really good detailed articles in the library w/pics on how to clean and lube them.I usually take mine once a year to a buddy that owns a bait shop and have him clean & lube mine.For $6 you can't beat it.If they need it between then,I usually do it myself.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I lube my abu reels everytime I respool with fresh line.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    The levelwind gets oiled often the rest at least once a year and then on an as need basis. The levelwind is the most delicate part of the reel and sence it is exposed it requires the most attition, keep it clean and oiled the rest of the reel is verry tough and shouldnt require mutch attiton.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never lube my abu baitcasters, I have taken a couple apart and could not get them back together..They usually last me 5 years then I buy new ones:big_smile:

15. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I do it once a year, early spring. Check the library for article on how-to.

16. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i clean mine and grease then down before the season starts and after its over, better to over oil, than under grease..

17. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jack, just send me those reels that you can't get back together,do you need a shipping address?..hehe. After every trip,I take the water hose to them,let them dry, and then oil them. every time.........

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I threw a abu 6500 in the trash can about a month ago, only 3 years old and the worm gear on the level wind went out..Did not even attempt to fix it as I new I could not get it back together:roll_eyes:

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    dang the levelwind is only 4 screws and a clip pm me next time :wink:

20. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    It really depends on the quality of the real and how often you fish. The manual should tell you the proper cleaning schedule and method for that specific reel. I clean mine twice a year just to be safe alot of people only lube up after the season is over.