How often do you clean your baitcasters?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 7, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I Never clean my Abu's, I have tried twice and could not get them back together and threw them in the trash.

I have many reels now going on 8 years without being touched, and still work fine, mostly 6500's....I have had one worm gear go out, and yep the reel went in the trash!:smile2:

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I never take them apart and clean them just oil them. And like yours my Abu's work just fine.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    unless mine take a dive into the river, or get dropped in sand i dont clean them either. i think there are shad scales and blood on mine from 5 years ago!:smile2:. i do however oil the internal "spool bearings" (abu 6500's) once a year. i have learned my lessons regarding the "worm gear".....do not grease them! grease will gather all kinds of dirt and gobs of sand which will chip your gears fine points. if anything take them out and dry them out as much as possible. just lightly oil them if you must.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I take mine apart every few months and clean them, and they sound just as good now as the day I bought them. It was hard the first time, but now its really easy, and really worth it also. Any of you guys going to throw Abu's away please send them my way before you do!:eek:oooh::crazy::wink:

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    If I get dirt, sand in reel or alot of use I will take apart and clean. They are like new when done. I'm with tbull, anybody going to throw abus away you can throw them my way.

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Not often enough. LOL i have done it a few times to my reels. My 6500 is like brand new and my walmart 6000 is about wore out it needs some repair.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I clean my reels at least once per year, and more often if needed. I use bot ABU and Penns.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I try to get mine cleaned 1 or 2 times a year. I usually clean them up a little after each use but have gotten lazy...:wink::smile2:

9. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Never really cleaned them, just some oil and brushing off. Last time I took one apart amd really did a cleaning, it was so smooth and slick, took me 6 months to get it dirty enough where I could cast it right again.

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    That is part of my winter preps..by spring everything is clean, shinny, and ready to go. Beats those years fishing with my uncle who thought after you bait your 202 or 33 you dip them in the water to lub them! Yea I know, I did this for years until I took one apart and seen what dipping them had done..but the man sure knew how to catch fish.:smile2:

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ONCE EVERY 3 MO.OR SO

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i clean my whenever i start imagining they are sounding different .lol.. they all get wiped down with warm water and a rag after every trip. just something i have done for years, kinda like second nature to me now, like wipin after you poop! :smile2::wink: rollo

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I clean them out about once a year. I had a 5000 when I was younger that I thought had become entirely messed up inside. I took it apart years later, replaced the worm gear and am now using it again. Now, after I learned to take one apart and put it back together I do it to all of my reels. It's really not that hard to figure out if you take a little time out of your day and focus. You do it once and you'll never forget. It saves money as well as your old beat up and "lucky" reel too.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I tear them all the way down.
    degrease everything and put put them back together.

I keep a bottle of rem oil with me when I fish. Before that first cast oil the worm gear.
    They'll last a long time .

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I only clean mines after a day on the ocean. I rarely use my Abus for saltwater though. My Penns get most of the saltwater duty. :wink:

16. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I take mine apart every few months. Don't think not doing this regular will cause your abu to stop working. How ever, It sure keeps it casting nice and a smooth drag is always a good Idea. I know people who don't, and they like them just fine, But spends allot more than my self on reels. I'm no mechanic, But after picking a few up at auctions, for next to nothing. After Playing with them and Getting copies of the owners manual. I figured it out and after that its a piece of cake. Practise! On an old reels. Before you throw them away Give me an email and I'll Pay all shipping. If you want to see them recycled. Thanks.