How often do you change your barrel swivels?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathead_ky, May 3, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 90# test Rosco barrel swivels with my slip float rig. How often do you change out your barrel swivels on your rigs? I would hate to lose a fish because of a weak swivel.

2. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    shortly after losing them in a snag...mine never last long enough to worry about...lol

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have never lost a fish due to a swivle giving out.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll change em due to losein em in a snag. Thats about it. I will inspect em from time to time, but if ya are usein quality tools the performance will be there.

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've heard that brass swivels don't withstand their said pound strength. I have heard to go with steel swivels. They are pretty expensive, but the Spro Power swivel seems to be pretty good. I haven't had a lost fish due to a swivel breaking, but I've never latched onto a really big fish yet either. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than me chime in here.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Never lost a fish do to my swivels.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here. i have never lost a swivel to a fish yet!

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never lost a fish due to a barrel swivel, but about 10 years ago I had one bend my snap swivel straight. I'm not using them anymore. I too get snagged way to often to worry about changing them all the time.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I lost a nice king salmon when trolling due to a brass swivel giving out on me since then I use only steel and only replace them when I lose one in a snag.

10. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    While b@$$ fishing last weekend, a small barrel swivel on my carolina rig broke. I'm pretty sure I used the swivel last fall so perhaps corrosion took its toll over the winter. From now on, I'm going to make sure I lose my rigs more often so this doesn't happen again.

11. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Here is a copy and paste from a recent post I made:

When you go through many 3 way swivels rigging jug lines and set lines, you need the biggest and cheapest to be found. And so far that is some nice 3/0 3 way in dozen packs at Academy for me.

Just how tough are they?

Here is one from a jugline I had that was snagged on some submerged tibmer, and we had to resort to wrapping the line around the cleat and use the boat to break the line.

The line snapped at the palomar on the downside of the rig where the line was a bit smaller. Notice the stress the 3/0 3 way took, and still held up.

Attached Files:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    never had a problem with my swivels,my line always snaps first.

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have to agree with most of these replies. Never had one fail on me, lost more than I can remember!

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like your logic, LOL!!! That should keep them fresh, LMAO!!!

15. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i switch barrel swivels as soon as i see one. i try to only use bearing swivels, if i can help it. i use 50lb stren superbraid for line, and i tend to bend snap swivels, long before i snap a line. as a matter of fact, i've snapped steel leaders without busting my line.

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If matched to line Ihave never had a failure in 50 years of any swivel. I even sometimes retrieve them when water is low and re use .

17. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    it looks like the snags have it i try to stay stoked up on everythang i fish alot of snags so most are still shiny so that is all i have to say about that. i ordered a catfish connection catalog it will have what you need. i am going to order my 2006 asap.

18. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yah me to never had a swivel give out.I"ve swilled a few beers before and gave out......ur humble servant beartrap:crazy:

19. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    have always had good luck with barrel swivels