How Often Do You Cast When Fishing For Flathead Catfish???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 23, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think its very important to move your baits around when fishing structure for flatheads. Whether it be wood, rock, or sunken debris. I have always done better by moving my baits often. Baits especially if fished on a 3-way rig can swim and find crevices, or other areas in structure if given enough leader line. I also think its important to move your baits, so it has the ability to present itself throughout the structure hopefully to all or more fish that may be held up there active or not. Moving baits whether it be live or cut also allows for scent to travel in a wider area often drawing attention to cats scences. I like to fish the upstream side of the structure and move them each time just a few feet downstream along the structure on each cast covering the area slowly. I often move baits every 5-10 minutes in heavy structure, moving and moving my baits until I feel I have covered the entire area well. So how often do you move baits? Or do you not move baits? Do you have a system like I do that you fish by to cover area when targeting flatheads around structure? I wanna hear how you fish for them! Goodluck.... :big_smile: rollo

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i usually will wait anywhere from a half hr to an hr befor i move my bait. i dont have much of a chance fishing on the water to get to most structures so im limited to just bank fishing and finding decent strucures is some what challenging.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I would say on average I move mine about every 15 mins or so.

4. I fish from my boat. Usually give a spot an hour each, moving the baits around every 10 to 15 minutes. If I get into the fish, I will stay there in that spot until it dies off.

5. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i usually go with the 20 min cast rule sometimes it works but other times im just smaking my bait around i dont know if im fishing cover or what just a bank spot on the river !! oh well it produces just not a pig every time

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I move also but I think my moving is more of a gut feeling than say a system.

I think the fish I get are caught because of me changing up a lot. I honestly exhaust all my possibilities when it comes to presentation. I try many baits and each bait get cut up different until I find what they want. I also change depths a lot too.

So I do reel in every 15-45 minutes but maybe for a few different reasons. Like I mentioned, I do go with my gut a lot, sometimes I know what rod it gonna hit before it even does...kinda weird creepy aint it...

I have also been known to set one line out all night too....Hmmm, I guess here is no pattern to my fishin after all, LOL.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i move mine as little as possible but i dotn catch any bugguns on rod and reel so..try the opposite of what i do :smile2:

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    If fishing live baits I dont ever recast till its time to move. If Fishing cut I usually rebait and cast every 30 mins. or so. Ive had live baits in the water for 4 or more hours before I caught fish.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i fish live bait as well.i'll let my bait stay out until i'm ready to move to another spot.i'll sometimes check a pole to make sure the bait is still real lively.if not i'll change to a fresh bait.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cast to where the fish are supposed to be, no guess work for me, if their not biting it's not my fault, besides after dark I cant see where I'm casting any way, so if I do hit it right I leave it there till I get a good hit, and if I don't get a hook up I leave it there a while longer then and only then will I bring my rig in and venture another cast. That's another reason I went to heavy mono, it's easier to get back lashes out! lol :eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I guess Im guilty of casting an staying till a run . Then moving from spots .An the fish I ve caught big cats came from no structure .an using big bass sometimes i dont get a run for weeks.Maybe i should move an cast more offten an i could catch some more hogs Thanks for ?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Unless I get a hit, or at least some sort of action, I am timid to reel in. I always feel that when I reel in I was just about to get one.:big_smile: Recasting just makes me have to start the waiting cycle all over again.:smile2:

If the fish are moving, I should not have to worry about moving my bait. Especially since I use cut bait 99% of the time. The turtles seem to have no trouble finding it.:wink:

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when fishin off the bank i liked to cast out and let my baits soak for 15-20 mins. then just real in about 5-10 ft. and let that soak and keep repeating that until my lines are in, that way i'd find if the fish were out far or in close then i could narrow down my next casts. out of the boat i usually let my baits soak 30 mins. and if i don't get any takers within 30-45 mins. i just move the boat to another area(sometimes that might only be 100')

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If I can see the bait wiggling, I know it isn't snagged and the bait is on the hook and in the best spot available, I leave it.

If I get a small bite, I wait a bit and then I'll check it. If the current is playing the pole, I'll check it more because you get more snags when your sinker drags around more.

When I recast, I move a large distance. Not just 10'.

I wish this all made me good at catching fish. ...............

I check cut bait more too.

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    About 10-15 mins or so :wink:

16. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I try to let the fish dictate when i move or recast my bait but it depends on my confidence in the spot i'm fishing as well. I guess i tend to unconsciously rate the area/spot i'm fishing in. And if i have a real good feeling about the spot, i'll leave the bait out there quite awhile before i reel it in to rebait,try a different bait or recast to a different area. I'll leave the first cast on each line out there awhile usually but if i'm not getting any kind of action after awhile i'm more likely to change baits or spots as the night goes on. I definitely leave live bait in one area longer than i will with cut or other bait. Earlier this year i made a conscious decision to be more methodical and analytical about my fishing in general and to be honest i think it doesn't work as well for me as what's natural to me. Which is to follow my gut and play my hunches even if they're unconventional. The less i think...the more fish i catch. Intuitive fishing. I'm going back to fishing that way.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a toss-it-out-and-leave-it kind of guy, too... I'll let 'em sit out for hours before I reel it in... on the other hand, I also go by my gut feeling - if something is telling me to move, then I'll move...

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i get lazy when i flathead fish. ill sit in that spot for about 45 minutes and not move by bait around. normally my rods are all where i want them to be. so if i dont get action in forty five minutes of my shad or bluegill swimming where i want them to be, then i just move.

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i will give them a half hour, but if im fishing big baits and i can see that the bait is active. It wont get moved until the fish hits it.

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i usally never move mine unless ive had a hit or i need to check my bait