How often do channel catfish jump?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dwordenfish, May 30, 2007.

1. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    I caught a channel cat the other day and it launched itself in the air like a smallmouth bass...quite an impressive jump! It was the first time it has ever happened to me. Is this as uncommon as I think it is? It was a three foot jump and the only time I have ever seen a catfish do it in my whole life. Has it happened to all of you? Caught about 8 catfish in a short time, all good sized 2-4 lbs, the prespawn bite. Here they will stop biting in about a week and spawn, the next time to catch them will be mid july.

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    There is a guy here locally that targets cats by using his fly-rod. He says he can make them jump and dance with different flies. Ive not been fishing with him yet, but I have seen what he brings home, a few nice eaters now and then. He also catches quite a few big bluegills this same way. The only time Ive seen cats jump is when they got a hook in their mouth, or they are chasing bugs.

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Only time I have ever seen em fly like that was when I pull a 30 lb. hook set on a 1 lb. fish.
    :embarassed::cool2:

I do love the way a big Channel will thrash and roll when on the surface. Would have loved to have seen what you saw!

Tony
    _

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    never had a channel jump while fighting, but i've seen them jump for bugs before. They normally fight deep around here.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I never have seen a catfish jump! The only fish I know of that jump is bass.

6. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina

7. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had a channel jump once. It was a decent sized one and it jumped as soon as I hooked him. Made a HUGE splash then broke my line, I was only fishing 10# line, do you think I learned something from that?:roll_eyes:

8. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have never seen a cat jump but that would be one sight to see

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I never seen that before.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen them jump a few times, but i agree it is pretty rare to see.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    About two summers ago I was fishing using a tiny white perch for bait. After about an hour or so I decided this isnt working let me try something else. I thru the perch back in the water and just as it landed on the water woosh a cat jumped out the water and engulphed it. It wasnt a high jump mabye more like a skip. That is the only time I ever saw a cat jump. They trash like all crazy on the surface though.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, until reading you post I would have said NEVER.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ive never seen a channel cat jump...but like my signature says " i do alot of fishing but not much catching"

14. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i once saw a catfish fly out of the water.... right before it caught me in the bread basket:crazy: !!! my kids thought that was the funniest thing they ever saw !!!!:wink:

15. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Had a Flathead do that once,but never seen a Channel do it:smile2:

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    How often do channel catfish jump?

Never, they don't have legs!!

Sorry, I thought this was a riddle. :eek:oooh:

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've seen it a couple of times, always in extremely shallow water. Coolness!

18. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I caught a 28 lber (may have been a Blue) in 2ft of water. The clicker screamed and I set the hook and it came completely out of the water. Looked like a torpedo that hit the water and ran. Would not have believed it myself but I had 2 witnesses. This was on our annual camping trip and everbody at the campsite thought we were making it up...I love the shallow water bite. When we stick 'em and they roll we call it a "toilet flush"

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had one jump on me once. I was fishing in the Whitewater river in Ohio right next to a bunch of sticks. I got the hit, set the hook and fought it for a second, then I saw it jump right next to all the sticks. That was the end of the fight it seemed to jump right in to a stick that broke my line.

20. duffthor

duffthor New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I had never seen a channel cat jump until last Saturday night. Just as I started reeling it in, it completely left the water. It was perfectly positioned in our lanterns so all three of us got a good view of it. Ended up being about 3lbs, but it was a beautiful sight flying above the water.