How NOT to stop a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by tkishkape, Mar 17, 2007.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The boat was coasting to a stop on an old dead tree that I wanted to tie to for catfishing purposes... just a little too fast, but ...not to worry.

I stood on the bow, arms outstretched ready to absorb the impact of the boat stopping on the tree. The line was ready to be tied off and my clients were onboard, ready to catch catfish.

I braced myself and when I touched the trunk, I stiffened up to take the impact...but...

the old tree snapped off at the water level. I performed the most ungracious swan dive I have ever done, headfirst, right into the icewater.

It was simple enough to walk my hands along the gunnels and climb in over the whale tail and engine... but that water was COLD and my face was red from embarassment. To make matters worse, I lost my glasses and cellphone.

Lesson learned! Never expect a dead tree to stay there.

Lesson #2... always wear a life jacket. Almost all drownings occur to people who are not wearing a life jacket.

Lesson #3... keep the cell phone on the console

Lesson #4... wear a "sissy cord" on your glasses if you value them.

2. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Thank you so much! Now I don't feel so alone in making those "oops" posts, although I've got a BUNCH more to tell. Sounds like we both need "sissy cords " tied around us! :eek:oooh:

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess it wasn't such a good day on the water today, huh? Don't think I'll ask how the fishing went.:eek:oooh:

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    That Cold water get your attention this time of the won,t it:ah:

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I was teaching my son to drive the boat today. We were coming in to the dock and I was on the front deck. At the last moment I decided we were coming in a bit fast so I told him to put the engine in reverse. He did and gunned it to really slow down. I nearly cut a flip over the front end. Momentum is a wonderful thing.

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Pretty funny David.

Last weekend coming back to the dock at High Rock I told my boy to sit on the front casting deck on his knees and catch the dock when we were close enough. All went wonderfully, we approached the dock, he reached out and grabbed it.....then stood up and leaned forward.:crazy: In no time at all we were four feet away from the dock. The only thing of his in the boat were his ankles. His little hands threatened to crush the piece of wood he was holding unto. Everything else was horizontal between. I got to him and pulled him back in, made sure he was ok, tried to stop laughing, and explained to him that sometimes you have got to make up your mind whether you're going to step onto the dock or stay in the boat:wink: . He could hardly argue with me.

Jon

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's always a need for a seperate camera man for "precious moments" like those! LOL:lol:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would call a fallin cold water," Awake up Call". Always think safety first.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :lol:

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Albert, I did the same thing this fall but luckily didn't fall in, just kept going down the river standing in the front of my boat carring a chunk of tree over my head, hoping nobody could see me.:big_smile:

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I don't feel bad about putting this on here. Make sure your motor is neutral before you start it. I wasn't thinking when I pull up to my fishing hole and shut off my 9.9 motor. Got ready to go turned the handle to start and jerked the pull cord. Motor turned side ways and started and done a 360 it would have throughed me out of the except I was siezed on like a monkey and a good crank rope.:embarassed: :lol:

11. catmama007

catmama007 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the laugh. I could actually picture my husband doing the same thing!

12. simplecaveman

simplecaveman New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    That sucks! I lost my phone a month ago while bending over to pull a jugline!

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Now albert that is the 2nd pair of glasses you have lost this year:roll_eyes: but it is better to loose the cell and the specks than yourself:wink: remember my ordeal..just glad your OK.I am gonna tie you to the boat next time we go fishing:tounge_out: with just enough slack you can't go over the rail!!!:big_smile:

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Been ther done that. Actually a couple of times. LOL

15. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My cell phone fell out of my pocket into a foot of water. It was there less than thirty seconds but that was too long. Now I need to see how good the insurance I bought is.

Wooly