How not to fletch.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, May 11, 2009.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Bought my first fletching rig today. First arrow came out fine, second one had some issues.:eek:oooh: I just started using 4" quikspins and they are the best I've used so far. I'm fletching them straight.

Attached Files:

2. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

:eek:oooh::crazy::eek:oooh::crazy:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do all my own fletching and nocks and inserts too. It gets easier the more you do. I have a very old fletching jig that fletches 6 arrows at a time....it is really very easy to use.:cool2:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was concentrating on the jig and had a brain fart. :roll_eyes: Ya think it will still work? :tounge_out:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know...it might fly right back at ya....LOL:smile2:

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Just move your nock to the other end of the arrow and you will be fine :smile2:.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, ,,
    Thanks for sharing,, we all need to be reminded we're Human!!!:wink::smile2::smile2:

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    So...uh...how exactly do those vanes work???:eek:oooh:

Atleast it looks like you only did one that way.

Maybe you just have to shoot it while looking in a mirror.:roll_eyes:

9. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    You may have just stumbled onto a new archery revolution and it may be worth a million bucks!

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    I use Blazers, by far the best in my opinion, go get some Blazers and youll be amazed at the difference in quality. I know a lot of people that have tried the quick spins that have went to Blazers very shortly after. Blazers are a lot stiffer and durable, which is a must if you do a lot of target shooting where your fletchings can get messed up. But try them out since youve got some on and see which one works better for ya.

Attached Files:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks, I was using blazers and tried the quik spins and like them alot better. I havent given up on blazers altogether yet, I want to try the mini blazers. Now that I'm fletching my own it just that easy to switch a few to try. Maybe we should get a fletch trade post going?

12. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I never had good luck with the blazers sticking very good.First time it got cold all the vanes kept falling off.I went back to the AAE's and have NEVER had a problem.:big_smile:

13. 3D Hunter

3D Hunter New Member

State:
    Central,PA
    I agree with carp killer on the blazers not sticking very well, although I do love the vanes I just went to the cheap knock off vanetec same shape just not as stiff which is good if you like a little helical on your vane like me..

14. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Oz, they make some airplane wings like that too. I wonder if they came about from brain farts too..LOL

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Just a recommendation Ozzy, you might want to fletch the Quickspins with a slight RIGHT HELICAL. This will greatly improve the spin and accuracy of the arrow. Always make sure the arrow is completely clean before fletching!! Rubbing Alcohol and a paper towel.. Yes. I've heard the AAE's are good vane too, along with the blazers. GOT THE FLETCHING JIG, just experiment with different types and go with the best one for accuracy. Don't hesitate to shoot these arrows at long distances also. Like 50 to 80 yds. for grouping purposes. I'm liking the 2.5 Quickspins for longer downrange accuracy, because the arrow retains better speed, because of less wind drag at longer distances.

Good job Ozzy. Happy you have the ARCHERY BUG!! Congrats and some mojo!!

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Mark, I actually bought some Easton St EPIC arrows with quikspins and liked them so much I bought that jig. I set the jig with the Easton arrow so its like a 3-5 degree, just slight. I refletched my carbon fury arrows that I destroyed. :eek:oooh: Made them about 469 gr. heavy but brutal. Thanks for the advice. I also picked up a Tru-Ball Chappy Boss, no more wrist releases for me. Pure Back Tension from now on. :wink:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My hat is off to you for your intense interest in Archery Ozzy!! Sounds like you have come a long way from the beginning and made some big steps in the right direction!! I believe the arrows your making should work great for you setup!!

About back tension releases!! Very great training aid for off-season shooting. I don't recommend them for hunting though!! Some shots take quick reaction and back tension releases, usually take 3-5 seconds to make the shot go off!! This can make or break a shot at a trophy of a lifetime!! I've read about some pro hunters use these releases religiously for hunting situations, but they're used in a way to command the shot off super fast!! For me they're more of a practice tool and then I go to the wrist style and trigger style release for hunting.

Just my way, but you can do whatever feels right for you!!
    Great job on your progress OZZY!!

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Mark, I started out with a Tru-ball Stinger which I still have. This was working out great for me and then I started shooting bad after a while. :angry: A pro shop employee let me shoot his 4 finger chappy and I was hooked. I used both for a while back and forth, the chappy was the release for me. For anyone starting with a bow...nothing is set in concrete. Try all you can, if it works great, if not dont waste time. Ive learned alot from Mark here along with many others. Archery is a gift from God.

19. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Mark beat me to the punch about back tension releases for hunting situations. As he said, I know some guys who use them for hunting, but they are all guys who shoot target the rest of the year and that is what they are comfortable using. That is the great thing about archery hunting...if you use what is comfortable and what you have faith and confidence in, you will be much more accurate than using what is in "style" in the archery industry for that week. To me at least, confidence and form are your 2 greatest assets that lead to accuracy. Form will put your point of impact at the same spot every time. Confidence will keep you from trying to "peek" at the arrow after you release, which really throws your follow through outta whack. Throw in a healthy dose of practice, and you have a recipe for success. Its the same way for your arrows. Since you have a jig and at least a moderate knowledge of how to use it to bump up your accuracy, you can test out different setups until you find some that you like. Then you can put them to the test and decide which ones you get the best grouping out of. Like I said Oz, use whatever YOU feel comfortable with. I think alot of guys out there go out and buy something new just because they see Waddel or Chuck Adams or somebody using it, and they dont really get comfortable using what they have because the next year they will do the same thing again. Just my opinion and I might be rambling on here, but I thought Id let ya know that its nice to see guys who still have the desire to try things and think outside the box a little and.....here is the shocker....maybe.....practice throughout the year not a week before the season opens!